New York / Long Island area filmmaking groups? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 15th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #1
Major Player

New York / Long Island area filmmaking groups?

I thought long and hard about posting this in the Helping Hands section, but decided against it since I'm not really looking for a job. I have more of a general query about this subject, and I didn't want to clutter up the wrong section. If it has to get moved, however, my apologies for being a doofus.

Here's my situation. I have no friends. That's one. Two, I like the prospect of filmmaking (I say it like that since I've never actually done anything before). Not having friends is detrimental to my well being as a person, obviously, and also to my desire to make movies. I don't have any channels of inspiration for original ideas, and I don't have actors or crew should I come up with one o' them "ideas".

So I figure why not try to meet people WHILE making movies? "Try film school", you say, "you meet people with similar interests, and get education at the same time." Well, believe me, I'm considering it. NYU, CSB, CW Post, Five Towns College, I'm looking into them all. "You could try and find an entry level job in the industry; you do live awfully close to a major city, there must be something out there." Also a possibility. I have a potential plumbing career, but as much respect as I have for the profession itself, and the people who practice it (namely my dad), I don't see myself going down that path for reasons I'd love to go into but won't, for fear of boring you.

If I haven't already.

Anyway, at the moment, the concept of "a group of acquaintances who enjoy getting together to make movies" seems more immediately appropriate. The school and job directions I could take are more long term. Not that I think that's bad, mind you.

So the final question comes down to, do any of you know of such groups in my area? Do such groups even exist? Or do you have some other suggestions, perhaps?

I hate to drop all of my problems on you guys, and be so dramatic about all this, it's just that there are so many of you who are not only in the video/film field, but are cool about it. Offering sage advice, and whatnot, helping out those of us less experienced. This is one of the few internet message boards I frequent, and I trust the members.

Seemed like a good place to ask, you know?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Aha...TOTEM, I see. Always thought that was just for current movie-related events. Reviews, previews, studio politics, that kinda thing.

Sorry!
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Wrangler

Robert try www.indieclub.com they have a New York and Long Island chapter.

For me the best way to find people who can help you make movies is to get away from the "I want to make movies" crowd. Some of the best people I work with come from very far flung interests and disciplines.

A friend who is a seamstress turned out to have a great story AND the talent to write it. Now, she is consistently both my production manager - with a great eye for detail and of course my costume designer!. Plus she loves music, so she's an awesome database of songs and bands.

Her roommate is a model - enough said.

Another friend was a front desk clerk who it turns out had a certificate in design and graphic arts. She is now my CG artist as well as website designer. Plus she can act! Go figure.

Another friend who works as a manager at a hotel, had a degree from Julliard!!! I mean hello!!! So guess who's scoring the movies?

Then I have another friend who works at Macy's as the window dresser ... she is my on-call set designer.

My aunt, found her calling in Art at the age of 40 - she became a docent at the Princeton Art Museum and now regularly consults with us on the conceptual and visual parts of our stories. Just awesome.

Anyway the point of the story - there are lot of people out there, you just need to uncover them.

Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Ooh, I like that...appreciate the advice, it's just that I haven't the slightest clue where to find THOSE people either. I have only two close friends who I might use as "contacts" for even more interested parties, but I haven't spoken to them for some months now. College, work schedules, all that good stuff has kept them from getting in touch with me. Could also be that they don't WANT to get in touch, but are too polite to simply say it.

I'll see what I can do, though, might actually work; heck, my mom volunteered to be my art department (she's always been good with that kinda thing), maybe she knows somebody. :)
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Warden

Robert, your User Group idea is being given consideration. I can't say at his time if your idea will come to fruition, but it's possible.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #6
Major Player

You mean DV Info Net User Groups? With local chapters, and meetings, and stuff? Count me in! I'd love to meet some of you guys.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Wrangler

The user group idea sounds great.

Rob, I'll contact you if I need extra people, I do most of my projects in and around the Manhattan area, including Brooklyn and the Bronx.

I work with an amateur group of peole who like doing our own projects to get experience. We more about having fun and learning with an eye towards being as "professional" as our time, budget, and skills allow.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #8
Major Player

I'd be happy to help out, Michael, sounds like a plan! As far as professionalism goes, I have no problem doing that, even on a low/no budget production. I am fully capable of keeping my mouth shut (I don't speak much as it is), and doing what I'm told. Plus, I don't mind being the guy who gets the coffee/breakfast/lunch order, so long as I've got something to write on...but I own plenty of pads and pens, so that shouldn't be an issue either. :)
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'll backup Silent Bob as being one of the most talkative people I've ever met : )

Bob- Come on you know I had to make one joke right?

But the User Group idea is kinda interesting.

-Hal
Hal Wolin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media