Marlon Brando dies at 80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Marlon Brando dies at 80

Hi folks,

IMHO, Brando was one of the greatest actors in movie history, with some of his finest performances in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now". R.I.P.

More can be found at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#1
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/
Sebastian Scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

Anyone have any favorite Brando moments?

Mine is "the horror.... the horror...." Although there are many great lines from Godfather.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, mine is easily that as well. That whole sequence.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:47 PM   #4

C'mon Dylan,,, aren't you forgetting Jor-El???

"Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. And always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El - they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you - my only son."

http://superman.ws/fos/themovie/images/jor-el.gif

Favorite Brando performance: "Apocolypse Now".

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:27 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley."

On the Waterfront was my all-time favorite Brando. What a sad day.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

"Hey what are you rebelling against?" -waitress to Brando

"Whaddya got?" - Brando in The Wild Ones
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM   #7
Trustee

"Apocolypse Now" has to have the greatest psycho performace of all time. All other films that have a psycho always have them do something...they act out their psycho thoughts or whatever. We never actually see Brando do anything...he's just sitting there rubbing his head in the dark.

I love ""Apocolypse Now" and watch it at least once a year. I'm not sure if his entire career is worth mentioning - most of it from what I can see was wasted talent. He was one of those who gave when he felt like it. I think it shows in his work too....some good and some not-so-good. He definately lived longer than I thought he would because he had a major weight problem for most of his life (after the 60's I think).

Brando in "Apocolypse Now" was amazing because he's not really in the movie much at all. Yet, he's got this amazingly memorable part. It's almost like the Jaws thing, but in a reversal of "horror". We go through the whole movie thinking about him without seeing him, and when he's revealed we never actually see him full on...it's dark, scary. It's got that Jaws thing where you end up creating the whole thing in your mind and then...bam, you get nailed with something totally different and scarier.

Ok, that's my Brando rant...goodbye to a great actor! He had a tragic life towards the end, so r.i.p.

Also, does anyone know what happened to his "acting classes"? He had some of the most well known actors come to his house a few years ago to talk about acting and actual act on video. Leo DiCaprio went, and a bunch of others...I saw a clip and it was almost comical. He was sitting there talking about acting, seriously too...and these new generation actors were listening like kids. It was funny, sad...entertaining and enlighting at the same time! I want to see those classes on DVD!

Murph
Old July 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Wrangler

Don
I've got to stick with Kurtz over Jor-El, although I'm glad you brought it up, since no one seems to remember he was in that.

I wonder how long until we see "The Brando Collection" on DVD...
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Im staying on The Godfather. Just his presence alone. Completely stands over the rest of the cast; and the rest of this cast is phenomenal.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #10
Major Player

I never cared about Brando till Godfather came out. Thought he was wonderful in it so I saw Streetcar, Waterfront and Wild Thing and got goosebumps. It was those movies that convinced me he was the best. Apocalypse does nothing for me.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

He did a great job in Apocalypse but it is a bit part. It's not a Brando movie. Streetcar and Waterfront, those were Brando movies. One Eyed Jacks, which he directed. The Missouri Breaks. Those were Brando movies.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media