Revelation? Indiewood? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Trustee

Revelation? Indiewood?

Hey all,

I just realized that I'll be shooting an HD movie and distributing an HD-DVD before most A-list Hollywood directors.

Think about it - HDV + recordable HD-DVD discs (using WM9 and Apple new codec next year) = HD-DVD before any Hollywood studio. They're releasing a handful of titles next year, but none of their good stuff like Star Wars.

So, in short it seems like independent filmmakers have a chance to give the public a better visual product before Hollywood. If we can keep our storytelling true...maybe we can change the whole system to Indiewood!

We should make a Indiewood movement - higher quality product and story than Hollywood. With all this great technology out there for filmming and even printing out our DVD discs....we should should kick Hollywood's ass.

Or maybe I should shut up and get back to my editing?

Murph
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds great. Are you willing to pay for quality actors and writers?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

I think a far bigger factor in"quality filmmaking" than lines of resolution would be...quality filmmaking. Many indies fall short in the same ways that Hollywood features do: script and storytelling. Others fail because they cannot match the quality of acting and appropriate production values. However, there are those that succeed in all levels.

I'm all for indie production and distribution. The bottom line is that REALLY good indie films tend to get picked up and if they make money, then they effectively become "Hollywood" by definition (major distribution). I would think that filmmakers should follow their own muse (as you are, Christopher), make the best films they can, promote the hell out of them, and not concern themselves with trying to start a revolution. Remember what the last indie wave created--the studios just adapted by forming indie wings under their corporate umbrella. Hollywood won't let its ass get kicked; it will adopt, incorporate and absorb.

One film at a time...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I thought the Borg did that....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hollyborg...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Wrangler

....well, it worked for them/him/her/us!

p.s. I worked with Alice Krige, the "Borg Queen" a few months back. Nice lady.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for replying everyone. I think that I was just excited when I had the thought pop into my head...it's just cool that we can make movies now that aren't all fuzzy and home video like in appearance.

Of course, story comes first...always.

Murph
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Major Player

I agree (as always) Chris! Im 34 now and Finally am in a position to make some serious quality films on an extremley limited budget. The future's so bright...

And Richard, you'll be surprised at what kind of quality actors and writers you can find! Check Open Water! They were hired deferred.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey John, we do seem to agree a lot. If I was in San Diego or you in Boston...we could do a project together. :)

I do get out to LA often though - at least once a year or more! When I lived there I always wanted to visit San Diego, but you know how it goes when you live somewhere! You wait and wait..

Murph
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah I think we have been agreeing for like a year! LOL

Funny, Ive always wanted to visit Boston! (Check out my Irish brethren). Who kows, in 5 years we'll both be in Hollywood. (Im kidding; I have n odesire to live in L.A.; San Diego is paradise)

Have you seen Pieces of April? Technically it is horrible but it shows what a great film that can be made in the DV realm.
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

John,

I know full well the quality of actors that can be found to work low-pay deferred. We were EXTREMELY lucky when we were shooting "After Twilight" here in Houston. But then, we were shooting in 35mm and a lot of actors jumped at the chance to work on a large format shoot, with a professional crew instead of "Constantly being asked to work for free by everybody with a DV camcorder..." (Their comments not mine) I think the more credible your own credentials, the more likely you are to get a commitment from professionals in all aspects of the medium.

Check out www.nu-classicfilms.com to see the trailer
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #12
Trustee

John, haven't seen Pieces of April yet. But, it's in my list on NetFlix!

Murph
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #13
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : John,

I know full well the quality of actors that can be found to work low-pay deferred. We were EXTREMELY lucky when we were shooting "After Twilight" here in Houston. But then, we were shooting in 35mm and a lot of actors jumped at the chance to work on a large format shoot, with a professional crew instead of "Constantly being asked to work for free by everybody with a DV camcorder..." (Their comments not mine) I think the more credible your own credentials, the more likely you are to get a commitment from professionals in all aspects of the medium.

Check out www.nu-classicfilms.com to see the trailer -->>>

Im digging it. Thats the excitement of DV and HD technology. It's getting to the point where a DV camcorder in the right hands will do the trick. We're not grabbing the family camcorder anymore but the affordability (more or less and give or take) is almost the same.
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

>>Think about it - HDV + recordable HD-DVD discs (using WM9 and Apple new codec next year) = HD-DVD before any Hollywood studio. They're releasing a handful of titles next year, but none of their good stuff like Star Wars.<<

There are several features out in WMV HD format. Terminator 2 being one of them. Plus I have the WMV HD disc for 'Step Into Liquid', it came with the DVD.

But support in set top DVDs is only now starting to show up.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media