Let's Petition Canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Let's Petition Canon

Have you ever been frustrated, or worse had a problem, with confirming whether or not an online dealer is Canon authorized? Well, here's your opportunity to do something about it.

Many people have been caught in the scams run by online dealers who are not authorized. Unfortunately, there is no easy, reliable way to determine if the dealer is authorized.

I have thought of an easy solution for this: All Canon has to do is list on their web site the web sites of all authorized dealers.

But, how do we get Canon to do this?

Well, I have found a Canon web page where they ask for feedback on Canon dealers:
http://canon.links.stage.channelinte...&nPageNumber=4

If a lot of people petition Canon to setup this listing of authorized dealers, then perhaps they will do so. IAC, it doesn't take a lot of effort to do this, so please take a couple of minutes and fill out the form at the above URL.

Here is the info that I entered. It's probably best if you don't copy it exactly, but even if you do, it's better than nothing. So feel free to use the below any way wish.

Thanks for your support.

=============================================
DEALER:
All Online Dealers

COMMENTS:
I'm interested in the XL1S, XL2, and GL2.

On your page of online dealers you only show five dealers that sell the GL2 (for example) via the web. Is this all there is? I know of several authorized dealers who are not listed here. And there are many who claim to be authorized that aren't.

You need to make it easier to verify whether or not the online dealer is authorized. Why don't you provide a page that lists the web sites of ALL authorized dealers. This can't be very hard to do.

Then, any dealer who claims to be authorized, can simply link to your web site for verification.

This is a huge problem. There are quite a few unethical dealers selling Canon products on the web. Many potential Canon customers have been scamed, and have left with a bad opinion of the dealer and Canon.

Please show some responsibility and leadership, and take action to deal with this problem. If you are the first manufacturer to do this, I'm sure it would greatly help your sales as well.

Please let me know how you plan to respond to this.

Best Regards,
<your name>
<address>
<email>
=============================================
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #2

If you have any doubts on whether or not a retailer is an officially authorized reseller, simply call 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) and ask.

You can also locate a dealer near you at
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=424, simply enter the product in which you are interested in and then enter your zip code. If no dealers are listed in your area, try entering the main zip code for your city or the main zip code for your state capital.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Don,

Been there -- done that. :-)

Doesn't work very well.

Not all dealers are listed.
The retail location and Canon dealer address zip aren't always the same.
Many online dealers don't list zip code.
The company name registered with CAnon is not always the same as the DBA name.
It's a very slow process.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #4

Just how many dealers are you trying to find and for what reason? How about supporting a dealer in your area?

- don
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, Don, I'd think it's obvious.

When most people make a major purchase, they shop around to find the best combination of:
  • Price
  • Features
  • Support/service
  • warranty

But let's face it. Price is a big factor. It is for most people. Otherwise, the online sales and big discount, no service, dept stores would not be as popular as they are. If you want/need more support and hand-holding, and you are willing to pay for it, then you can go wherever you like.

Why are you opposed to Canon making it easier for us to determine who is an authorized dealer? This is in the best interest of all consumers.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #6

JM Underwood writes:
Why are you opposed to Canon making it easier for us to determine who is an authorized dealer? This is in the best interest of all consumers.

Hi JM, I never once stated that I was opposed to the idea. You are misinterpreting... My own experience has taught me that the cheapest price is never the best deal. That is why I always try to buy from a dealer local to my area, for real. At least, I prefer to strike up a relationship with one dealer instead of many. I find that I get the best service that way and they know when they give me their best price on a piece of equipment, I am not going to disappear and go to another dealer across the country next time I need something just to save $50. And, I do buy a lot of gear... That is inevitable in this business.

You state that your reasons are "obvious". I'd agree. I still maintain it's always better to stick with one dealer and cultivate a working business relationship. As far as features those are obviously dictated by the manufacturer, not the dealer.

Anyways, I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck with your petition.

Cheers,

- don
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Don,

I find that I get better advice and info right here than from any dealer. And the price difference between local dealers and online dealers is much, much more than $50. When I was looking for a GL2, I found the difference to be $300-$500 plus $200 tax. Now I don't think any dealers service is worth $800. :-)

And even worse, finding a local dealer who sales people really know the product is very difficult to find, at least in HOuston. Perhaps in Boston or NYC you have a better choice.

Lot's of DVI members buy from B&H, so it seems that many prefer to buy online. I'm just starting up and have lots of equipment to buy. If my budget were not so tight, I'd probably just buy from B&H. They're not always the lowest price, but they tend to be on the low end. And everyone here seems to think highly of their service.

But regardless of where you buy, online or local, don't you still want to know that the dealer is Canon authorized? That's my only point. Let's try to get Canon to do something (that's easy for them to do) that will help all of us.

Cheers.
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I think its a great idea strictly from a consumers point of view. It should be as simple as going to the website and not calling them. Im a DVX owner, but Canon should indeed do this. This isnt for someone in any particular location but for all consumers of Canon products NEW and OLD.

And Don, you did come across (percieved) as little difficult in the initial response. :P It might be in your interest to sign this petition as well. Its a simple but potentialy effective idea and surely nothing to scoff at.
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Better yet, save yourself the hassle and buy through our DV Info Net Sponsors. Not only are they fully authorized by the various manufacturers, but they're simply the best, most reputable merchants in the business. Your groundwork is already done.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As Chris noted, our sponsors really are among the best of the best. I don't know where "features" can be distinguished; an XL2 is an XL2 everywhere. But on all of the other points you'll find the best deals with our sponsors.

People generally get their butts bitten when they chase price. There simply is not a wide variation among legitimate dealers. But ultimately someone will chase a price that's too good to be true and then whine when they've been burned.

I had absolutely no trouble finding local dealers for Canon products on their site. It took seconds. Looking-up an online dealer on the Canon site is as simple as knowing their zip code or city/state. The first sign of rotten fish should come when you can't determine that information from an "online" dealer.

Good luck on your crusade.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media