Good subtitled movies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 8th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good subtitled movies

Anyone recall seeing any movies, docs, etc that use subtitles? There are portions of a doc that I'm working on where it's hard to hear what people are saying or they're speaking too fast. I'm looking for some techniques for subtitles, especially when a lot of people are talking over eachother. Does anything come to mind w/ these more than ordinary subtitle situations? Thinking I may watch Snatch w/ the subtitles on (Brad Pitt).
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Trustee

I have not watched it this year, and I think it may be too measured in delivery for what you want, but... The Seven Samurai is in Japanese with English subtitles. It was very effective with the subtitles and does not lose anything because you are reading.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll definietly add that to my Netflix queue. I need to see it all the way through anyway since Akira was covered so many times in my film classes - one of those films that we all need to see.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You should check out "Atanarjuat ( The Fast Runner)". It won Camera d'or at Cannes in 2001 for Best Feature Film. It's in Inuit with subtitles. An interesting film for all kinds of reasons.
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There's a great documentary by Werner Herzog about his relationship with Klaus Kinski called My Best Fiend. Fascinating and plenty of subtitles.
Brack Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Amores Perros is a great film and Man on Fire has nice USE of subtitles.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks all for your suggestions. Looks like it will be a long weekend of movie watching, er research of course.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media