InSaNe Render Times at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Trustee

InSaNe Render Times

It seems as if Final Cut is felling a little overworked. This is a screenshot of the audio render time I got last week. Even better is the pic my friend sent me today. (pic 2) Alright FCP, see you Monday!
Attached Thumbnails
InSaNe Render Times-picture-3.jpg   InSaNe Render Times-uh-oh.jpg  

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I think it's time to replace the hamster...
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Trustee

The "about 8 weeks" made me laugh. I've seen some long render times in my day but nothing even remotely close to that. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can come back to it later when I need to feel better about render times.

Looking at your timeline, it looks like the video is about an hour and a half long. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the 4 day render time... do you have some type of crazy effects on it or something?

I really really wish that apple would allow me to render with all the cores I paid for. You can do it with Compressor, why not FCP?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can't FCS 3 export via Compressor?

I always got trouble when exporting via Compressor in FCS 2, but maybe this has been better in FCS 3 (I have it, but haven't tried it yet).

Great pictures, by the way. 8 weeks. Funny as hell.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Can't FCS 3 export via Compressor?

I always got trouble when exporting via Compressor in FCS 2, but maybe this has been better in FCS 3 (I have it, but haven't tried it yet).

Great pictures, by the way. 8 weeks. Funny as hell.
**EDIT** I was wrong, let me revise this**

I was talking about renders in FCP not using all my cores, not encoding using Compressor.

I always prefer running Compressor separate from FCP so I still have the option to edit while encoding. Also, I could be mistaken but my unscientific opinion is that compressor seemed to me to encode faster when working off a single quicktime rather than from the timeline.

I haven't used FCS3 yet so I can't speak for any improvements there.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah, in FCS 2 I always got Compressor to crash if I tried to export via Compressor.

That being said, I expect some improvement in FCS 3, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
I always prefer running Compressor separate from FCP so I still have the option to edit while encoding. Also, I could be mistaken but my unscientific opinion is that compressor seemed to me to encode faster when working off a single quicktime rather than from the timeline.
I do believe that you are right Ethan. I ran a project though both workflows (in FCS2) you described and running compressor separately is definitely quicker. From memory it was twice as fast (actual results may vary). Plus you get that bonus of still being able edit while you're compressing.

In compressor I had a render time of 28 hours... I should have taken a screenshot. I set everything to "Best settings" when i was downconverting. I canceled the render and changed one of the settings to "Better"... It happened a lot quicker.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media