Okay, now what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Okay, now what?

So I finished a really good feature... now what? I know conventions and festivals, and find a distributor. But how do I do all this without going into debt? Does anyone know of any really cool suggestions?
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Do you at least have a website up to promote the film?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

nope, i dont.
Old September 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

It seems to me that that might be a good way to get some attention.
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

okay, will do. and beyond that?
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

I am no expert

I would concentrate on getting a professional looking website up. It does not have to be as elaborate as the majors promotional sites but there are some nice inde films with nice sites (check PRIMER the MOVIE for example).

I would look into putting together a Press Kit. Maybe in the vein of a DVD that you could mail out?

The DVD part is huge as you can mail it/submit it to the festivals fairly cheap. If it's good enough to get into a festival(s) then it might steamroll from there.

Do you have any footage or grabs you can provide? Or is it a secret?

: ' )
Old September 19th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Inner Circle

usually when you make a feature, you do not advertise for it, you advertise for your work or for your person. Try to get interviews at local TV or radio or newspaper , get material about what it is , story about the making or all what happens to make it.
Try to find a nest for your product, like association that could be sensible to the subject exposed or having produced the same kind of stuff, even better if they produce some review or revues you could be cited in.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Giroud Francois : usually when you make a feature, you do not advertise for it, -->>>

Really? Again, I wouldnt know but that seems strange. I would think promoting the film would be the correct course to take; isnt that the idea?

Look at OPEN WATER. They had some ghetto site up for awhile before be acepted to SUNDANCE.
Old September 19th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Inner Circle

People are usually not looking directly at the product, whatever it is. that is why marketing exists.
They are interested in it because, such actor is playing in or such well known public person advertise for it. When you are looking at a movie, you are probably buying in the rich life of hollywood for a big part.
Very few product are existing by themselves , they always build on a story behind. So if your product popups from nowhere, your first job is to construct that story, and if you have no star to display, use your own person.
seems silly , but it is the way it is.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media