Paypal opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 12th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Paypal opinions?

I've used ebay and Paypal for awhile now, no real problems. I believe I've done 21 transactions or so, both as a buyer and a seller.

However, I've thought recently about cancelling my account to Paypal, as I've heard all sorts of bad things about them, plus I know they take a chunk of your profit, if you're a seller (yes, I know eBay already does that, but Paypal does it IN ADDITION to the eBay fees) and your buyer pays through them (I don't know the percentage--maybe one of you could tell me?).

Read some of the info on paypalsucks.com too. If it's true, then that's some scary shizzle.

So, I know a lot of you here use eBay for this and that. Have any of you had a Paypal account and cancelled it? If so, did it make your eBay life more difficult because people wouldn't buy from you? Hit me with it, daddio.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

No one? Come on. . .vent for big daddy Bass.
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'm fine with Paypal. I know the rules and risks and accept them. In the last three years, I've probably made close to $5,000 in purchases with Paypal, the majority being under $100. Never had a problem.
I've probably accepted it from buys only about 20 times, for amounts under $50, and never had a problem.

Also, FWIW, if there are two auctions, and one offers Paypal, and the other doesn't but it's ten buck cheaper, I'm paying the extra ten bucks and using Paypal.
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

So you're saying as a buyer, you like it, but when you sell, you don't accept it much? Or did I read wrong? Why don't you like it when you're the seller? Is it the extra money they take from you, or some other reason?
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Trustee

can you name another service where people can email money to one another cheaply and securely? i didn't think so. there just ain't "competition" so pp pretty much is it. outside of ebay i think pay pal still works pretty well cause you can go on forums (such as this) and paypal people money instead of fussing with checks. plus the seller does not have to pay through his nose to setup a website to accept cc payment when paypal does it for him. it's very kewl to transfer funds from bank to bank easily via email.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #6
Major Player

and......

On my PayPal business account, I get 1.5% cash back on all purchases from my PayPal account.

So, I make sure I start the minimum bid at what it's worth to me (including PayPal/Ebay charges), then I also use USPS to ship to buyers. I pay with my PayPal credit card and get 1.5% cash back on the shipping (kind of like paying for the gas to go over to the post office).

It works out perfect for me, and I'll follow Dylan in saying the same thing about passing up a non PayPal auction......
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Interesting. Looks like we have people on both sides of the spectrum (though only positive info here). Does anyone know anything as to the validity of the info on Paypalsucks.com? There really is some pretty scary stuff on there. For instance, they claim that if someone were to use Paypal to purchase something from you, and they were drawing their funds from a stolen card, then you, the seller, can be labelled as a criminal, whether aware or not.

IF any of this stuff is true, seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. With my luck, it WOULD happen to me. Also seen reports of Paypal refusing to help people who got ripped off, simply saying "oh well, it happens."
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #8
Wrangler

Josh, I like it as a buyer and seller.
If I was selling big ticket items, then I would be more cautions using it as a seller. Otherwise, no problem.

If an auction doesn't have Paypal, 98% of the time I won't bother bidding. Bottom line, I'm lazy. If it involves moving my ass out of my chair to get a money order, I ain't gonna do it.
Hey, at least I'm comfortable with my weaknesses. :)
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

Interesting. Thanks.
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #10
Trustee

PayPal is now an eBay company. That may change things. I have been using it for years with no problems. If you are worried about them withdrawing your money, create a separate account.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media