Creating a web-like on a CD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 5th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating a web-like on a CD

I' would like to make a web-like site on a cd where I can clike on the individual links and it would perform just like I was on the internet. I am sure it's possible because I have seen one before. My question is, is it difficult or must it be done with a special program?
Maybe it can be done exactly the same way one would make website but instead of uploading the files and linking them on the net, it would be linked to the specific pages on the CD instead. Am I making any sense? THanks.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

You are absolutely correct: it is done exactly the same way as creating a website, except that it is on a CD instead of on a file server.

As long as all your links are self-referential (links only go to pages on your own site), the end-user won't even need to be connected to the internet to view and work with the CD-site. For example, let's say someone is in the Video section of my site and clicks on the link to the Music section. The link looks like this: <a href="../music">Link</a> -- regardless of where the page is (on my hard drive, on the internet, or on a CD/DVD) that HTML code always means "step one folder back and go to the folder named Music."

So review/fix all your links and make sure they reference the folder structure instead of outside URLs. Then create a .inf Autorun file that you will place in the CD as well -- this will Autorun the index.html file when the user inserts the CD. This was discussed recently here at dvinfo: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=35839.

Hopes this helps...
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. I'll see if I can accomplish it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media