A Christmas Story at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Wrangler

A Christmas Story

Ok, TBS has been playing this for 24 hours straight. How many times have you watched it?
I'm up to 5 non-consecutive viewings.
Old December 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I was just out of high school, working as a projectionist when it first came out in 1983. We had it at our theater for five weeks. Two shows per night; I worked five nights per week... saw it fifty times back then. Once was plenty for me last night!

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh, then you'll LOVE this:

http://www.leglamps.com/fragile.wav

JS
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm afraid to click on the link - what is that, some kind of Italian virus?

;)
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I see it 3 or 4 times every year, but usually not all at once. I love this movie, and it is the only one I look for. Thanks to TBS for showing it around the clock, which allows me to watch it in parts.

As a side note... anybody seen the second movie? I saw some of it on a premium channel, but was never able to find it again. It was the same style as Christmas Story, but during the summer.
Old December 26th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

I always love watching it. For some reason, it reminds me of home.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Major Player

I agree, Robert. I grew up in Cleveland and one of my first "young adult" jobs was working Christmas holiday at the Higbee Co on Public Square, where the department store scene was shot (so I am told). The movie brings back a lot of memories about snow, bullies and Christmas magic.

Another favorite holiday film of mine is the "National Lampoon Christmas Vacation." I think that is Chevy Chase at the top of his game, and a really great script that makes me laugh out loud while having a good tug the heart strings.

And of course, I got the dvd version of "Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas" and thought it looked especially good transfered to dvd. The colors in the Playhouse really popped. Certainly one of the high-points of my career, and nice to see it looking so good in this new release.

Best wishes to all, and hope you are enjoying the holidays.

Wayne Orr, SOC

PS. Robert, only in Cleveland (or Disneyland) would they name a skyscraper the "Terminal Tower."
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #8
Trustee

Side note - having spent my early life in a British school, A Christmas Carol has always been a nostalgic tale for me, as opposed to the very American A Christmas Story. And what I consider to be the best American retelling of that tale is Scrooged with Bill Murray. What a fun yet true-to-the-tale version it is! And it really helped me, when I first moved to the U.S., reconcile my British nostalgia with a new American home.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I saw "A Christmas Story" 4 times. This is going to sound rather morbid I suppose, but my mother always loved the "chinese turkey" scene, and now that she has passed, well, I guess it just brings back happier times. I will always love that movie (And. of course, my mother who wouldn't let me have a bb gun because she was afraid I'd... well...you know.)
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Sorry but I've never been able to watch this movie all they way to the end.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media