What's a guy to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's a guy to do?

Hey there guys I did not know where to go with this so I figured this is the place to start.

Well this is my story 1 ½ years ago I bought a DVC80 and I love it I mean I researched the camera to death, I saved and saved and then saved some more to get it. It was literally the most expensive thing I had every bought. When I got the camera I used all the time (the honeymoon stage) and as time went on I have used it less and less.

I first got into video through still photography and had all most stopped taking still picture totally when I had got my video camera, but recently I bought a DSLR and I have been shooting everyday, what happened to video? Well other then a few projects that I have done in the past and few that are coming up I have really not been doing that much.

The more I get in photos the more I am starting to think about selling my DVC80. I mean, I could probably get almost enough to buy a used 1D or other photo gear. I really love both and this is what I want to do but I am not sure I can be both; you know a camera man and a photographer.

This my sound strange but even when I was a kid I wanted to be the guy who went to “bad” places and took pictures. I wanted to be the guy who helps other people tell a story, but I am not sure what direction I want to take, photos or video.

When I started I gave my self goals
From the day I got the DVC80 I said I have 1 year to have something in a theater (I did and it won peoples choice)
And when I got the 10D I said 6 months still I have something in the paper and that has happened.
So I know I can do it if I put my mind to it.

I guess what this all means is can someone be both a photographer and videographer? I really respect your guy’s opinions and would like to know what you think.

Thanks for reading my rambles

Michael M
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Sure you can do both; I do. The trick is to pick one for a particular event. The way to decide is to ask yourself whether there is a story to tell. If so, pick camcorder; otherwise pick camera. For example, I would only take a camera to a concert, but a camcorder to an excursion.

How do you feel about shooting documentaries or shorts? I guess it depends on your subject tastes and means too. Video works much better when you have a crew; a boom operator at least. A photographer, on the other hand, can travel nimbly and inconspicuously (if one leaves the telephotos at home.) You get the idea.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi

Me & the wife have the best system, I take the camcorder & She takes the stills, then I do the editing because she says: "I can cope with hearing & seeing the same bits over & over again"

Regards.

Peter.
Peter Higginbottom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media