DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   firefox - killer browser ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/37999-firefox-killer-browser.html)

Kurth Bousman January 19th, 2005 03:28 PM

firefox - killer browser !

OK - I just downloaded firefox from mozilla.org and it's great. Opens pages 2 to 3 x faster - downloads 50% faster - for macs '- there's no competition - it puts IE and safari to shame and the best part - it's free !!

Rick Bravo January 19th, 2005 03:53 PM

What's the catch...if any?

Spyware, Adware, pop-ups, etc?

Ain't nothin' free in this day and age!

RB

Kurth Bousman January 19th, 2005 04:23 PM

the best things in life ARE free !

Explorer is free - Safari is free - try it before being so critical- I've only been using it for about 4 hours but it's alot faster - Kurth

Rhett Allen January 19th, 2005 04:23 PM

I haven't tried it on the Mac (love Safari) but I have it on Linux and Windoze and it ROCKS! It is fast and truly compliant to web standards.

and yes, it's FREE!

IE is crap!

Imran Zaidi January 19th, 2005 05:12 PM

Yes Firefox is excellent. Careful with Safari for the time being - it seems to have trouble with fully compliant javascript in certain instances, and its stylesheet support is not as proper and comprehensive as Firefox.

Rick Bravo January 19th, 2005 05:22 PM

Chill dude!

Take a deep breath Kurth...now, breathe out...

Feel better?

I'm not being critical, just expressing a degree of curiosity!

As free as Microsoft might want you to believe that IE is free, yes, it is free from a direct cost to your pocket, but, nothing that MS does is free...there is always of some kind of strings attached. Just try removing it from your system!

As Sonny Corleone once said: "You're taking this much too personal.

RB

Kurth Bousman January 19th, 2005 06:24 PM

A degree of curiosity, is that what it was ? Looked an awful lot like paranoia to me. And excuse me Rick , but breathing is one skill I never take advice on -I was just responding to your concerns ( I believe w/o ever using the software ) w/o any personal criticisms involved. From the other comments , I believe there's an agreement on it's functionality.
ps - And the spyware and virus thing - well, that's one of the reasons why I use a mac! If someone is still using a wintel , then , I guess , they've got to be worried about all of that " big brother " stuff. And popups - I've had about 3 in 5 years, and none today using firefox.-thanks- Kurth

Aaron Koolen January 19th, 2005 06:33 PM

Rick, I'm surprised you've never heard of Firefox. Been around for a long time and recently achieve 1.0 status.

Very nice broswer and what I use now at home and work.

Aaron

Douglas Habib January 19th, 2005 06:44 PM

Well, that's ANOTHER damn post by satisfied 'foxers!!
Seems that's all I've been reading, lately....
(may have to dip my toe in this pool, soon)

Rick Bravo January 19th, 2005 08:48 PM

I think you've misjudged me. Please re-read and re-interpret my reply.

Notice the "if any?" after "what's the catch,"?

Then the "?" after "Spyware, pop-ups, etc."?

The question marks would indicate a question, an interrogative, a query. Not a statement.

Paranoia would have sounded a little more like..."Are you guys that stupid?", "It's too good to be true"..."there has to be some hidden agenda"..."the Democrats are trying to lurre me to the dark side", etc.

Trust me, I have NO problems with paranoia or I wouldn't participate on a board like this where I have to be myself.

I NEVER criticized the software because...I HAVE NEVER USED IT!
I am not in the habit of talking out of my A** about things I know nothing about.

As far as breathing, we all do it, it's just a matter of mastering the proper technique that escapes many people.

Aaron,

Pardon my ignorance, but no, I've never had the pleasure of hearing of or using Firefox. I do admit to reading the book by Craig Thomas and actually watching the terrible screen adaptation with Clint Eastwood, but alas, I am completely in the dark as far as the browser is concerned.

Now, thanks to the never ending font of wisdom and knowledge provided by this board, I promise to expand my horizons by looking into Firefox!

Let's not overlook the fact that it has a VERY COOL name!

:)

RB

Brent Ray January 19th, 2005 08:56 PM

How does Firefox compare to Opera? I've been using Opera for about a year now, and I'm mostly happy with it (except that some webpages don't support it). I've toyed with the idea of switching to Firefox, but I never really got around to it? Anybody have any input?

Michael Gibbons January 19th, 2005 10:31 PM

Just downloaded it today. Noticibly faster than Safari.

Yi Fong Yu January 20th, 2005 12:00 AM

there's also thunderbird, which is sorta like outlook express replacement.

brent, just d/l, what's it going to cost you? a few minutes of d/l, installing and browsing?

i switched since 1.0 and it's been an awesome experience. make sure you get extensions and plugins! the ad-blocker works miracles cause you can use boolean. so you can block out ALL ads from certain KNOWN ad producers. that's awesome. there's also a function to block out entire FRAMES that loads those ads. and i luv tabbed browsing (get the extension). plus you can modify your browser to go even faster! =). i can't believe how much "mozilla" has progressed from its former years. i still remember the mozilla browser, there's just no comparison.

having said that, i have to disagree about 100% compliant. most websites are geared towards IE's "standards". i was just shopping for blank mini-DV tapes from someplace today that uses yahoo shopping cart. in ff (firefox) i can't see the "checkout button" but in IE i can. there's lots of other little instances like that... but i can't complain, i'd rather take a little inconvenience for the ad-blocker, which is truly a jewel!

memory management. one thing about ff is if you check the task manager you can see it uses much less memory than IE. imho, it also crashes less. plus the extensions are only 1k to 400k @best. that's unbelievable!

re: open source software in general. i've managed to install open office 1.x and gimp 2.x @work and they've been very well received because they are FREE! i mean photoshop is $700 full version and Office costs about $300-500 full version. you can't argue with money when it comes to value.

K. Forman January 20th, 2005 06:39 AM

I've been using Firefox for a while, and it is pretty nice. Pop up blocker, supposed to be more secure than I.E., and it's quick... But it is also buggy as hell.

I close a browser window, and try to open another. Firefox wants me to start a new user profile. I insist I do NOT want a user profile at all, and just want to surf. It insists I will create a new profile, because the old profile is in use. So I close Firefox and open I.E., where Google's toolbar has my back, and stops most pop ups.

In Firefox, I have a long list of bookmarks. I try to select a bookmark, but the list scrolls uncontrolably past the link I want. Several tries later, I either succeed, or close Firefox and open I.E.

I go to a webpage, and there is a puzzle piece that says I need a plug in. Click here to find the plug in. I click there... and it says it can't find the plug in I need. So, I again open I.E. and surf.

Now, don't get me wrong- I think Firefox is a GOOD browser. But, when I want to surf, I want to surf, not figure out what the issue of the moment is. It isn't ready to overthrow I.E. yet

Imran Zaidi January 20th, 2005 09:40 AM

Keith I agree with you 100%. There are bugs as can be expected from a 1.0 release. I have that same plugin problem with Shockwave.

I too keep IE handy. I'd say Firefox is probably 95% there.

Also, Yi Fong Yu, the compliance to international standards is there - it's just that IE isn't, and developers often develop to suit it for obvious reasons. It's not a flaw of Firefoxes but rather Microsoft's, and I think because of Firefox Microsoft will finally get up off their butts and continue improvements in IE which they've been snoozing on since they killed most competition.