Good news for "Media Ownership" FCC issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Good news for "Media Ownership" FCC issue

Hi, I'm an activist of sorts for our "First Amendment Rights" here in the USA. This has been something that affects us all in the media world. If you own a video production company, or any sort of company that utilizes the airwaves or cableways....you might want to check this all out.

If you don't know already. The FCC has wanted to allow like 3 companies to RULE the world of media. We have been fighting a grass roots fight against that and got some good news today. This might be the first decent thing Bush has done since getting in office! (ok, that comment will probably get deleted)

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News

If you love your freedoms - then get off your a*s and vote for them! :)
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I couldn't figure out which story to read (there are a bunch on that link) but I looked at a couple. Interesting though.

... as a side note, when posting a link use this bracket [URL] instead of this one <url> and it will make the link active here. It took me a while to figure this out myself and I can't seem to find ANY information on translating the rest of the little tricks (like displaying the "text" as the link instead of the long form link) I've seen people use it here but I don't know how to do it myself since this board doesn't support html.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Rhett, for the past week I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. I've done it 1000 times too!!

Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Guys,

It took me awhile to find the tricks page but here is the link. It will show you how to do url, bold, italic, etc.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/misc.php?action=bbcode

Have fun!

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris, I just noticed it yesterday on one of your other posts, I went thru the same thing until I found the link above.

Thanks for the link Greg, that's actually how I figured it out but I still haven't been able to find info on how to make it post the link as alternate text.
This is the HTML version I would normally use;

<a href="http://www.dvinfo.net/" target="_blank">Cool Site</a>

This code would only show the words "Cool Site" and would open DVinfo.net in a new window.

If anyone knows this mysterious piece of information as vB code I would love to have it as it makes it easier to read a post with links included this way.

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Cool Site

HA!! I found it! I decided to take my own advice and look for the damn answer myself! It was here!

This is what the code looks like for the above in case you want to clean up your posts.

[$URL=http://www.dvinfo.net]Cool Site[/URL$]

Remove the dollar signs ("$" in case you forgot what one looks like, he-he) and it will work.
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Trustee

You know what would be really cool? If Chris Hurd put a button on every single page next to our "Profile", "Search" buttons. This new button would pop open a window that only contains the copy and paste-able text for adding links etc.

I'm just saying that we all add so many links when we post...it would save so much time to click a button and have this window pop up where we copy the code.....we close window and paste it in our new post. We then just type in the new content...like the link and/or name of the place we're sending someone.

Chris, if you happen to read this...is it a good idea??
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Got a few changes in store... stay tuned!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Trustee

Can't wait!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media