The Block Buster Scam - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #46
Major Player

Blockbuster has just agreed to pay $630,000.00 to settle suits by 47 Attorney Generals.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Right, Glenn; but does NOT include (holdout) New Jersey!!!!!!!!
Douglas Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #48
Wrangler

Yep, here in New Jersey we have the best politicians money can buy ;-)

It's my understanding that NJ is the only state to actually take Blockbuster to court.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #49
Machinist Mate

Holdout, NJ...Is that near Holmdel? Or Freehold?

heh heh

Hey, CT politicians too! Our ex-gov just got sentenced to 1 year + 1 day in Club Fed. And the ex-mayor of Bridgeport is doing 8 for multiple counts. And they got some doozies in Rhode Island...what is it about the Northeast anyway?
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #50
Regular Crew

The Northeast???? brings out the best in people.....(Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton(current senator), Stewart, etc.......must be all that mid-west air pollution blowin' in......
Ah, yes; Southern Ct.......where they have all four seasons - cold, wet, windy and humid. Glad I left Danbury BEFORE you got socked with income tax!! And your "ex-governor" started there!!
(where I have a Senator for a cousin!!) Yep, Mike; sometimes I REALLY miss it.........NOT!!!!!!!
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #51
Machinist Mate

Actually Douglas,

John Rowland stated in Waterbury, home of felon (ex-mayor) Ed Bergin and child molester (ex-mayor) Phil Giordano. And Senator Clinton is a Chicago native who honed her political chops in Arkansas after being a Yale rabble rouser....before claiming to be a lifelong Yankees fan (gag me)! Hope Martha stays out of politics, although she was a major fundraiser for Slick Wliiie.

Interestingly enough, George Dubya Bush was born in New Haven, while Bush 41 was at Yale. And Dubya's uncle Jonathan (41's brother) and aunt Jodi is a neighbor of mine in Killingworth...small world.

When I retire, I will miss little about Connecticut except the stellar teams of Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma (UConn men and women basketball) and am thinking about Clark County where they are hiring 800+ teachers per year (my daughter's profession).
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Way to go, Mike!!
You pay more attention to ego careers than I do. (Though I do believe Rowland was Danbury Mayor before he got to the Governor's Mansion)
Damn Clark County (basically-Las Vegas) is (has) out-grown it's britches; population has TRIPLED here since I arrived, now about 2.3 million peeps........and the school district is ENORMOUS! The 6th or 8th largest in the nation. VERY entrenched with a STRONG teacher's union. Only 800 hires per year??.....must be looking at the "slow growth" years. I've personally met a principal from Hawaii who was guaranteed employment "on the phone" BEFORE they flew her in for an interview; and offered her choice of school (as principal) if she accepted (+++perks).....and they build about 12 new schools every year. IIRC, one year (recently) we opened 18 !! (the kids hate "old" schools- 2-3 yrs old) The commisioner (title?) is a politically- and media-savvy Mexican from L.A. (Garcia). Much more info available, won't post here.
But it's NOT as "cheap" to live here as it used to be!! Other counties with <50,000 people and MILLIONS of acres (mostly BLM)
are starting to look very appealing........demographically, retirees and children under 16 are the fastest growing resident age groups......makes ya' think. Real estate has appreciated AT LEAST 150% in the last 10 years, most of it in the last 2 (ask me how I know!:))......and I'm just runnin' my mouth now.......time to shut up!
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #53
Wrangler

OK guys, I'll take the blame for starting down this road, but let's bring the discussion back around to "media" and not political corruption...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #54
Machinist Mate

Good idea, Boyd! Of course, the very thought of Blockbuster's late fee scam is something that could have been thought up by a crooked pol.

Before we totally return to on-topic, though, let me correct the record. Doug, John Rowland was never mayor of Danbury or of any city. He was born and raised in Waterbury, went to catholic high school in Waterbury, his father and grandfather were comptrollers for the city of Waterbury. His first political gig (at age 23) was as a State Representative from, you guessed it, Waterbury. Then he got elected to Congress from the Fifth Congressional District (which does also include Danbury, which might be the source of confusion) and served three consecutive terms; ran for governor and lost, then worked as a lobbyist until the next gubernatorial election, which he won (at age 37, youngest governor in state history) and was re-elected twice. Nuff said about Rowland and other corrupt pols.

I have totally sworn off Blockbuster and other video rental stores. And while the displays at Wal-Mart are tempting, I really have no plans to build a library of owned DVDs. Which leaves Netflix. I just wanna know how I can get that $11.95 rate!
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #55
Machinist Mate

Never mind, I just found out how. That's for 2 at a time, up to 4 per month. $14.99 gets you 2 at a time, no 4-per-month limit. Guess I'll stay with $17.99!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media