Red Dragon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 4th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Red Dragon

a little disappointed: i was hoping for a bit more insight into who Hannibbal is supposed to be and where he is coming from. I wasn't as disappointed as i was with the movie named 'hannibal,' but it seemed to me like this is just following the lead of 'silence of the lambs' as if it were a series about detectives who must consult dr. lechter.

the movie seemed to have been composed well, but the writing was a little watered down. it lacked something intangible that the first one possessed. I just couldn't get into the roles of the characters. it might have been the overall dramatic effects of the lighting (which, by the way, i learned a lot about just by watching this movie.) that gave the 'silence' such a darker feel.

besides that, it wasn't a bad watch. not at all. kinda made me hungry...
AaronClifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 01:18 PM   #2
_redone_

yeah..ive yet to see it but, i kinda figured the trickled down
trilogy of silence of the lambs would never live up to be.

I think that "red dragon" and "hannibal's" hype is only built from
the amazing imapact that silence of the lambs had. They portray themselves
as "shocking" and "horrifiing" , as opposed to silence of the lambs. When
it was trailered it seemed as if it was portrayed by more of a "detecitive/crime
drama" rather than a friday night thriller. Thats what intrigued me about the movie, no special opening credits, no freakish "techno/trip hop" tracks,
no over impossed blood and guts (just for the sake of having blood and guts). It just seems authentic and "un-cannibalized".
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 05:48 PM   #3
"SuperSparks"

I Went to see it this afternoon and enjoyed it, and funny (strange) I also came out hungry :) Jim

Hump? What Hump?
Jim Sauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 06:56 PM   #4
Warden

Looking for liver with some farver beans and a nice bottle of Chianti?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I really like the 1980 Michael Mann version of this movie, Manhunter. It has a Miami Vice (Mann's TV coup) attitude, and the flow is invigorating. The Hannibal character, while no less important, is played in a more subdued, almost casual fashion. But he is still very spooky. Unfortunately, the 4 or 5 times I've rented it for friends to show them the first Lechter film, the video quality has been really bad.
Old October 5th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello,
It is my understanding that this is really the beginning of the story, "Silence..."
is actually the sequel.
Anne Rice, "Interview with a Vampir" has a whole series of books, in which "interview..." is almost the middle of that series. Perhaps that 's what happened with that series.

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media