Demo tape hell - VHS eating VCRs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Air China Pilot

Demo tape hell - VHS eating VCRs

Sharing a tale and a lesson.

I'm up for a post-production gig for a well-known science fiction show. It was an unexpected opportunity and frankly I had issues finding the portfolio material because I hadn't expected it and hadn't been thinking about getting back into post-production. But the opportunity was a good one so I decided to dig deep into my archives for applicable work.

The trouble was, my latest work was from several years ago. It was a science fiction movie for which I did a number of shots (3D modelling, animation).

I only had two days to cobble it together. My best source was a Beta tape and my other source was the entire feature on VHS. I couldn't find the actual movie in any store in Vancouver (it wasn't good) and it was too late to order it on Amazon.

If I had thought it through, I would have paid a tape house to convert my Beta source to VHS / DVD. But instead I went to my VHS. I slotted it into my roomie's VCR which was doing duty as a cable converter. Bad move. The VCR began to EAT MY TAPE. I quickly cut power, got out the screwdriver, tore it apart and carefully extricated the VHS.

I called my parents to use their VCR and drove over. They neglected to tell me that it wasn't hooked up and hadn't been used in ages as well. I hooked it up, powered it up, and found that it had had a tape sitting in it for maybe two years. The VCR had been digesting that tape and was hungry for more.

By this time I was even wondering if my VHS might just die no matter what VCR I found. I called a friend who lived nearby and he said, yeah, he had a VCR in his kids room for Disney tapes.

There was a happy ending. His VCR was working, didn't eat my tape, my tape worked and I was able to mark down the time code of the shots I did. The person who would be reviewing it was okay with fast fowarding through the tape to the parts I did (even though of course an edited reel would have been more professional).

What is the lesson? VHS tapes and VCRs are crap, get old and die.
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Keith,

Full sails my friend, wishing you full sails in the new endeavor.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Thanks Richard. I've done everything I can to land the gig. My portfolio isn't the greatest but I had a good interview.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media