Looking for new website host at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Looking for new website host

I pay about $35 a month and can have two domains and a bunch of subdomains and more, but not much left for me to put video clips. I actually have my film's trailer linked to the trailer at the site where people buy a DVD/VHS copy.

I've heard of a company that charges $20 a month and even throws in a free credit card/merchant account and more. 7 gb of space, 3000 emails, etc. Just can't remember the name. Is there any providers like this?

Thanks,

heath
Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

The 1and1 hosting company does something close to this I believe. They offer alot bang for your buck.

However, the reviews I've read have lead me to believe that their service isn't that great.

This is the case you'll probably run into anytime you try to get hosting very cheap.

Personally i use FluidHosting and have never ever had a single problem. Also their prices are rather good.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Major Player

http://www.ipower.com

These guys are good... 2 Gig for $7.95, 10 gig for $19.95 + some bonuses... video streams pretty well from there also.

Good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Now don't slam me cause I know the whole "Unlimited" thing is bogus, but I have been using a place for a while now called webdrive. They are New Zealand based and charge about NZ$30 a month which is about US$21 a month and they say they don't monitor bandwidth and you have "unlimited" space. They are a pretty good company. Reliable and responsive to queries.

If you had an idea of the bandwidth you'd need, you could just ask them and get an answer.

Aaron
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, everyone!

heath
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm with these guys...been great for about a year now.

http://www.giantwebhosting.com/
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Major Player

A year ago January I took 1 and 1 up on an offer of three years of free hosting with 500 MB of disk space. I use it for video only, linking files to my original site, hosted by Bell in Ontario. Not only have I been impressed with the results but I've had notes telling me the streaming (progressive download actually) experience is the best they've seen. My own experience of the delivery of my files over the net is virtually flawless, almost always "perfect" according to WMP9. I haven't shopped hard for price comparisons but compared to what I pay/get from Bell I don't know how they offer what they do for the price.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

For what I wanted, I think Ipowerweb was good. It's about $100 a year for my package, and you get a lot of space and bandwidth. All I need it for is hosting my shorts and reel and whatnot. I've had the formatting do weird things, but that might just be me not knowing what the hell I'm doing.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media