Project Greenlight in your town at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 24th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Project Greenlight in your town

Ok, here is an idea. I own an extensive collection of production equipment of which I don't get to use as much as I would like. My real job and family life have not allowed me to take part in narrative production work, but I have helped out local filmmakers with equiptment and producer duties.

I was planning on setting up a Production Company with limited distribution capabilities for local filmmakers who cannot afford their own equipment. This allows me to stay involved in the community without to much of a time commitment and do some Executive Producer/Producer duties that I enjoy.

To kick off this company, I was thinking of setting up an initial "Project Greenlight" type scenario to get the ball rolling. I would accept script submissions for review and choose the best one to produce.

Now I understand that most of the people that frequent these forums have their own equipment, but I have found a lot of aspiring filmmakers don't have the resources to pull off their own production.

I concentrate heavily on HD content, so the productions would be filmed entirely in HD, with distribution in SD for the time being.

Just looking for some feedback on the concept. What do you guys think?
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I think this is a great idea. If it goes well, you could start a real movement in your area and get to participate in projects that you wouldn't at work. If I lived anywhere near Florida I would be rushing to get you my script, and I think many indie narrative types, even if they do own MiniDV equipment, would be more than happy to take a crack at HD. I hope this works for you.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your feedback Zach. I posted this thread on several sites and seem to be getting a lot of interest. And you are correct in that the lure of HD will interest those that have SD equiptement only. Stay tuned for more info.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Ed

THis sounds like a wonderful oppurtunity for the young/struggling filmmakers in your community; very noble. Is this HD of the 24p variety (curiosity)?

I bet you could even get osme sponsors locally for this venture.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Major Player

How bout outside of town?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Currently own the Z1 so true 24P is not an option, but we all know we can go CF24/25, dvfilmmaker, etc to simulate. I hope to pick up one of the new 24P cams when available.

Although a noble gesture at first, I would eventually like to make this venture my day job in some form or another. The possibilities are endless I think.
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Gary:

Initially, for the first production, it would have to be local. I don't rule out future endeavors out of town though. Given the equiptment is very expensive, I don't see myself shipping it out without ample security measures. Of course, people can always plan on flying down for the production. I plan on having extreme Pre-Production work done on all projects. They need to go as smoothly as possible. I can't tell you how many indie shoots I have been DP on in which the director was just winging it or leaving everything up to me. Pretty frustrating.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media