Vittorio Storaro - special honor at Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Trustee

Vittorio Storaro - special honor at Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA.

Boston, MA - The Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, Massachusetts, has planned a month-long celebration showcasing the work of internationally acclaimed Italian cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC. Last month the Coolidge Corner Theatre announced that Storaro will be the recipient of the annual Coolidge Award, honoring a selected film artist whose work advances the spirit of original and challenging filmmaking.

On April 7 at 1:30 p.m., will have Albert Maysles (Grey Gardens, Gimme Shelter) and Maryse Alberti (Happiness), Ed Lachman (Far From Heaven), and Ellen Kuras (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

http://wwwtw.kodak.com/US/en/motion/...coolidge.jhtml

If anyone in the Boston area wants to meet up there...let me know. I already got my ticket. You can get them on the Coolidge website. If you don't know already, check out his IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005886/

This man was the Cinematographer on many of my favorite movies - "Apocalypse Now" (one of my favorites!), "Tucker: The Man and His Dream ", "Reds" and "Dick Tracy". If you haven't already - rent "Dick Tracy" ASAP. It's one of the best lighting jobs EVER on a movie...trust me!!

.......and just for fun:

http://www.cameraguild.com/interview..._interview.htm

Murph
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Trustee

I will try to make it; I live next to the cinema, after all! Maybe we could make a social occasion out of it?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #3
Wrangler

Say hi to the old stomping grounds for me! Sounds like a great festival.
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Well... I returned from the panel. The participation was quite impressive, and mostly consisting of film students (I would say at least 80% of the audience, based on the hands raised.)

Vittorio Storaro struck me as being given to philosophical musing. Some of it was very interesting (e.g., his idea of using the color spectrum to reflect age, or using artificial light to reflect political struggle)...some of it was abstruse (e.g., how Einstein's General Theory of Relativity influences his philosophy of cinematography--he mentioned the formula, I kid you not.) At any rate, it is evident that he has a point of view.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #5
Trustee

Sucks, but I didn't make it because of Boston traffic! I paid for the ticket too. Oh well, I'll watch one of his films in honor of him this weekend.
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Emre wrote: "Vittorio Storaro struck me as being given to philosophical musing."

Hee-hee. Vittorio lives on a different planet than the rest of us and just comes by every now and then to make one of his brilliant movies. He is one of those people who should always have subtitles whenever he speaks, for the benefit of us mere mortals.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media