Voom is shutting down at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Wrangler

Voom is shutting down

Following up from a previous thread about the Voom HD service....

Today Cablevision announced they were shutting down their "Rainbow Network" which operates Voom. This concludes a high profile power struggle between members of the Dolan family that owns Cablevision. Evidently customers will lose access to Voom on April 30. Too bad, since I know a few of our members here are subscribers. This certainly doesn't make it seem like consumers have that big of an appetite for HD content yet.

Not a lot of details yet on this story. See this link http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050408/media...sion.html?.v=3
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

I just wish they would have learned the courtesy of allowing their subscribers to continue to access the programming listings on their web site for the final month of operation, instead of replacing all of voom.com with a "piss off" splash banner.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

Ouch! Just looked at that. They don't even say they're sorry http://www.voom.com/index.shtml
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Whoa...Guess I'm glad they didn't do an install last summer, because where they can put a dish on my condo faces west and their dishes need to go east.

heath
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Squeezing the Rock Till the Very End

Just two weeks ago, I received an unsolicited phone solicitation, wanting to sell me a Voom installation and subscription. The way satellite services are marketed, you never know exactly with who you're dealing, unless you investigate carefully. Possibily, this call came from a Voom installation contractor, who was trying to grab a few last jobs, before the hammer officially fell. Suppose I hadn't known of the impending shutdown and had ordered an installation? Another example of why you should never buy anything from unsolicited calls, mail or SPAM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Wrangler

Right! Never, never, never! (If for no other reason than to stop feeding the hand that bites you.)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Wrangler

On its final day of operation I made a point of watching VOOM until it went dark forever. The service shut down at 3:01 AM Eastern on May 1. Monsters HD cut off right in the middle of The Howling VI: The Freaks. I'll never know how it ends.

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:23 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

That seems kinda depressing, watching something come to an end...Oh well, glad they couldn't do an install. Took them 2 weeks to come out and tell me that...

heath
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:24 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Just saw that Dish is offering BETTER deals than what I got, all for $20 a month for 3 months.

heath
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Just saw that Dish is offering BETTER deals than what I got, all for $20 a month for 3 months.

heath
-----------------------------------------------

So, is there any word about what happens to Voom receivers and dishes that are in the hands of their former subscribers? Do they get to keep them and is there any useful function they could perform? You could expect that the two "D" companies would offer a special discount for Voom customers.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

The one thing I liked about Voom! was the free local HD dish. I have to watch my local channels in SD...

Maybe the dishes and receivers can be re-programmed to accept Dish signals??

heath
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:50 PM   #12
Wrangler

The dishes and receivers are now officially, permanently junk.

I've heard rumors that a postage-paid box will arrive in the mail, and we're to pack up the boxes and remotes and mail them back. I doubt this rumor, however, on the basis that it's going to cost VOOM's new owner more to ship, warehouse, and scuttle 30,000 receiver boxes than what they'd make in reclaiming parts.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Wrangler

As I'm just about to dive into HD satellite, any of you chaps have recommendations for one of the other, non-defunct services??
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

I have and like Dish Network.

heath
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM   #15
Wrangler

Yes, Dish Network seems to be offering the most attractive deals at the moment.

Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media