Survivorman (Les Stroud) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Survivorman (Les Stroud)

There's a show on the canadian OLN called Survivorman, the survival expert/cinematographer, Les Stroud, went on many survival trips to many places around the world. He uses a DSR-PD170(Season 2) and 2 consumer sony cams (1 per season) to film his entire survival ordeal (100% unscripted) but, yes, there are producers to supervise what he gets for his survival. There are some crazy time lapses spanning a max of 12 hours. Anyone in canada who has OLN has got to watch this show!

Think about it.
Feel free to post more about the show.

P.S: The first season was dubbed from DVCAM/DV into BETACAM SP(HQ Analog)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

I love Survivorman!

Les kicks ass!
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Survivorman RULES!!!

I think that show is ssssoooo inventive. Finally, something in Canada that doesn't involve some "unoriginal" home improvement show...

But ... what a headache to not only worry about the three basics food, shelter and clothing.... but he has to worry about those DAMN cameras and mics....

Bravo Les Stroud.... Bravo!!

Jason
Jason Liddicoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

I'd love to hear some of his stories about shooting.
I should look him up, I think he is based out of Vancity.

Did I mention Les kicks ass?
Oh I did.
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I wish their producers would start using HDV camcorders for their next season, imagine him in Fiji with nothing but his HC1 and Z1 and his survival stuff and his multi-tool.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Tourist

Camera Gear

Hey folks, I need your help! I often watch Les Stroud's Survivorman and just saw a "behind the scenes" episode, kinda neat. It got me thinking: What camera gear does he use? I go on camping trips every summer (not to a campground, but in the wilderness, paddling from site to site daily). This year I'm really hoping to bring a camcorder (haven't purchased yet) in addition to, or instead of, my regular SLR camera. I've been trying to figure this all out for months but can't find the specific product information I need. I need:
1. a super-long battery life (can't recharge batteries in the wilderness, + carrying a lot of them would be heavy),
2. durability (I may end up getting a waterproofing bag [not a Ziplock] from this neat online site, but that'd also be pretty expensive)

I'll most definitely get a Pelicase (an extremely durable waterproof hardcase; www.pelican.com/product/cases/) for the camcorder so it (the camera) doesn't need to be unbreakable.

I've pretty much decided to go with a MiniDV camcorder because I want the ability to transfer video to my computer (ruling out VHS-C) and I want to be able to record a lot of video (ruling out Flash memory camcorders). I don't really want a DVD camcorder because I don't care to have my video on a DVD plus they're expensive; but if they have longer battery life or other features I like, I may consider one.

I'd just love to know what Les Stroud does with his camera gear.. all the little tricks he's figured out for wilderness video recording... I really want to talk to him. Anyone know how?

I hope you guys can help me out, however you can. I just don't know where else to go from here. I'd appreciate any advice any of you have, be it your own experience or info about Les Stroud. Thanks so much!

-JLC

P.S. E-mail me if need be: juliealternatehotmail@hotmail.com (I check it often and it's my main e-mail, despite the name.) thanks again!
Julie-Lynn Costigane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

First off, I'm extremely apologetic for bumping this 4 year old thread... X|

But it looks like our Survivorman uses Vegas 8 to edit and (as many people know by now) migrated to HD and Discovery Channel US.

It's clearly evident from this on the Sony Creative Software site: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro Training Series, hosted by Les Stroud

Though it's only an intro and outro that he does.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Les is a big time user of Vegas. Last year he was at NAB and a presenter at the Sony booth and the VASST Vegas user event. An awesome story. He came up with the idea himself and pitched it and happened to run into the right guy at the right time over at Discovery channel.

CHeck out this story on the Sony site Sony Creative Software - Sony Creative Software at NAB 2008

GAry
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
First off, I'm extremely apologetic for bumping this 4 year old thread... X|

That's ok, you've won the DVinfo.net Oldest Thread Bump prize.... a 4 year old piece of cake!

I'm just kind of surprized that it's been 4+ years since we first saw Survivorman. Huge props to Les for making it!
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan View Post
Les is a big time user of Vegas. Last year he was at NAB and a presenter at the Sony booth and the VASST Vegas user event. An awesome story. He came up with the idea himself and pitched it and happened to run into the right guy at the right time over at Discovery channel.

CHeck out this story on the Sony site Sony Creative Software - Sony Creative Software at NAB 2008

GAry
NAB was cool AND I got a chance to meet Les Stroud!

Bob Diaz
Attached Thumbnails
Survivorman (Les Stroud)-picture-1.png  
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I think Les fudged in one episode where he creates fire with optics on an extremely overcast day...
The camera suddenly cut to him celebrating...why would that be?
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I felt duped when he broke out the ukelele when he was in the Cook Islands - everyone knows you can't make ukelele strings out of sea cucumber......

How hilarious is it when he night fishes with his harmonispear and a big bundle of fire?! Man, if I'm ever stranded, I hope Les is around. He'd make a great taste tester!
Lee Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
He'd make a great taste tester!
I think you've got the makings of a great breakfast cereal commercial there!

I'm not gonna try it... You try it!
I'm not gonna try it... you try it...
Give it to Les... he'll try anything!
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

This guy is my favorite Videographer, period. Lots of respect for him being able to maintain his gear in such situations and still produce a one man show with anything going on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media