What will MAC users do now? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #16
Trustee

Hmmm will be very interesting to see what Apple does.
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Trustee

To be honest, from the Keynote it seems that the switch should be primarily a non issue for most people; customers AND developers. Too bad we have to wait. My current PC can probably hold out for a year or so, then it might be Mac time for me, but I'm not moving to Mac now, which is what I was thinking of doing in the last couple of months.

Aaron
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #18
Major Player

I can definately understand where you're coming from, Aaron. However, I see this as a sure 2+ year lifespan of the current Power Mac. A couple days ago, I was concerned that Apple would make some huge update right after I bought mine early next month since Apple has a tendancy to release a significantly upgraded Power Mac every year (this year's .2GHz jump seemed a little effortless and left me skeptical before WWDC). Considering the consumer computer that comes out this time next year is a Power Mac (which it may or may not be), I would still give it plenty of "de-bugging" time, which brings the 2.7's life total up to 1 1/2 years minimum the way I see it. After that, I'll just have swallow some pride and accept the fact that I can't be 100% highest technology possible all the time - which should stretch out over a year or so. Of course, we'll see how that all works out.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #19
Wrangler

Just guessing, but I'll bet one of the first things they will switch will be laptops. Obviously we'll never see a G5 laptop, and paying a premium price for a 1.67ghz G4 is going to be tough to sustain. Several articles about the transition suggested that the the mini would be the first Intel product.

My guess is that the towers will be a little farther down the road, since they are already the top performers.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media