University Education - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
Do you folks think that a college degree is necessary to be successful in this industry?
No.

I'm proud of the degree that I earned in the College of Communication at the University of Texas at Austin (at the time, it was one of the top five film schools in the U.S.). It gave me a tremendous sense of accomplishment, greatly satisfied my parents, and the overall college experience taught me how to learn. I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. But in my opinion, it's definitely not *necessary* to be successful in this industry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
A couple questions here...

Do you folks think that a college degree is necessary to be successful in this industry?

As an employer in this industry, is someone with a college education more valuable to you?
Not nearly as important as a great demo reel.
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for all your great responses!
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #19
Major Player

Yes and No. I got my current full time job thanks to my Master's Degree, but has it really done me that much good? After 14 years I am banking $26,400 after taxes. My freelance business brings in MUCH more, consistently. Its all about your talent and who you meet.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #20
New Boot

Not at all. Some jobs sensibly require a degree, law and medicine come to mind. Photography \ Videography don't require a degree at all. They require many things, competence, vision, people skills etc. Personally I liked university so much I went back for a second run (first degree in MSD, second in software engineering) but my best job was prior to my first degree when I fluked a job developing \ testing catalysts. I didn't a clue how lucky I was until later and was massively out of my depth, but I got in on the interview and showing passion.

Some of the finest photographers I know have no educational background in photography. can't say for sure on the video front but I would imagine there aren't many more barriers. A degree can help, it can teach you lots, but when I've hired I have looked at experience, passion and temperament over qualifications. I've interviewed enough people with 1st class honours who I wouldn't leave alone in charge of an eraser to know education is very much a secondary measure of someone. Primarily education is a measure of someone's ability to 'sup n 'tup for 3-4 years then panic successfully.

Oh and my degrees? haven't working in the industry in years. Didn't do me any good when i did work in the industry, although to this day I still surprise myself by using skills I learnt at university in other jobs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media