Shooting events involving the Secret Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting events involving the Secret Service

Has anyone else been involved with a project that involves having a background check done by the Secret Service? I have an IMAG shoot coming up for some high profile heads of state and the producers have requested my SSN for a background check by the Secret Service. What all do they check besides a possible criminal background? I mean, that little thing with the bank..... that was a long time ago.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Typically it isn't very strict. They are looking for blatant criminal background stuff, they won't be asking people any questions or anything. Financial stuff can make it tough to get a security clearance - because if you are broke you may be tempted to sell secrets - but it won't make you any more likely to want to kill a head of state.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was talking about that bank I robbed, ha ha ha. Just kidding, of course.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's just a press pass? There's nothing to worry about. . .
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Trustee

They read all your internet message postings...

Wait, they've been doing that all along anyway.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Depends on what level of access you are asking for. A press pass to stand in the back of the room with the rest of the photogs will be simple. A clearance to do a one on one with someone high up will be deeper... and more extensive. And once it's done, it will be of use in the future.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

if the shoot involes being at an event and the SS is providing security, do what they say and be dont be mouthy. (learned the hard way.)
Those guys sucks at people skills.
But thats not what they are paid to do.
Usually on site procedures involve a dog sniffing your camera and a very long wait.
I dont remember ever being patted down or anything like that.
Those dudes are trained to read body language, voice tone, facial expression etc. Being bored and more bored is not real threating.

Sidebar:
I did have a (SS i think) sniper train on me from a rooftop once for quite some time.
I had stayed outside of an event involving VP AL Gore.
I was operating a live truck and was alone in the parking lot.
I still dont understand the threat I posed.
I had been cleared.

Anyway, it made for some cool looking video!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Chavez
Those guys sucks at people skills.
I disagree. The Secret Service are the friendliest people you'll ever meet, right up until the moment they shoot you! ;-)
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

When I went to see the President get sworn in for his second term in January I took some pictures of what I thought was a sniper on the dome. When I scanned them I zoomed in really close I discoverd he didn't have a rifle, he was standing behind (what an ex-military friend said was) a TOW missle mounted on a monopod.

THAT'S WHAT I CALL PEOPLE SKILLS!

Thanks
Joe
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That is called government effenciency at work, ha ha ha!!! They don't have to use as many bullets because one missile usually does the job.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't know if the current crop of Secret Service folks are up on "film speak", but a million years ago during the Nixon years, I was told to ALWAYS refer
to FILMING instead of SHOOTING. As in "We're here to FILM the President".

Also, as noted by another poster, don't be ANYWHERE you're not suppoosed to be.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I heard that! I will be sure to describe what I had to go through once the project it is completed.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #13
Trustee

A TOW missile is pretty darn big. Maybe some other smaller missile.

The BGM-71A/B missile has a rounded nose, is 1.17 m long, has a body diameter of 150 mm and a wing span of 0.45 m. The missile weighs 19 kg. BGM-71C ITOW has the same weight and dimensions as the BGM-71A/B except it is longer at 1.45 m because of a standoff nose probe. BGM-71D TOW 2 is 1.53 m long with a further extended probe, has a body diameter of 152 mm and, with a larger warhead of 5.72 kg HE, weighs 21.5 kg at launch.

I serviced the TOW and Dragon missile systems in the US Army for a few years. Especially the ones mounted on the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Trustee

lol. heh heh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Plotin
I don't know if the current crop of Secret Service folks are up on "film speak", but a million years ago during the Nixon years, I was told to ALWAYS refer
to FILMING instead of SHOOTING. As in "We're here to FILM the President".

Also, as noted by another poster, don't be ANYWHERE you're not suppoosed to be.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #15
Wrangler

Yeah, probably wise advice to refer to "filming" or "photographing" rather than "shooting." Likewise, best refer to your shotgun mic as a "directional" mic when going through airport security. ;-)

I have occasion to chat with SWAT and Special Forces types of folks every now and then. Many (but not all!) DO have a perfectly intact sense of humor and are very nice people...except when they are doing their job. Then none of them can take a joke. I personally know more than one professional person who has "eaten pavement" when they haplessly brought themselves to the attention of SWAT.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media