eed mailers-how to find companies who will mail my ads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 12th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

eed mailers-how to find companies who will mail my ads

I am ready to advertise for some new services i'm offering in my new company. I need to mail out professional letters stating my services to different industires.
How do i find the companies that will send out these mailers?
how much am i looking at per listing.
how do i evaluate a company based on their listing?
what are some tricks that will make this work better?
what will increase the chances of the clients paying more attention to these mailers instaed of trashing them right away>?

also I though of looking into some radio advertisements could u guys please give me some tips on how to go about this?
when is this method most useful, What kind of pricing is reasonable and how often?
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
I am ready to advertise for some new services i'm offering in my new company. I need to mail out professional letters stating my services to different industires.
How do i find the companies that will send out these mailers?
how much am i looking at per listing.
how do i evaluate a company based on their listing?
what are some tricks that will make this work better?
what will increase the chances of the clients paying more attention to these mailers instaed of trashing them right away>?

also I though of looking into some radio advertisements could u guys please give me some tips on how to go about this?
when is this method most useful, What kind of pricing is reasonable and how often?
Dan,

Having been in business myself for many years, I can say what you are asking is far too broad and I think that you may be unprepared for what you are intending to do.

You have to impress your future clients with what you have done and can do, in order to gain their attention. What have you done? What are you prepared to show them? Is it something you can go to your local business contact with, or mount a campaign on?

I was in business for many years in another field. I had a nitch in that field, and bigger companies came to me for help. But, even with that I could not just go out and get all the business that I wanted. I was a problem solver and an innovator in what I did, but on too small a scale or local a basis. What do you offer?

There are many companies that can sell you mailing lists, see bulk mailers and mailing lists, that are intended to target specific persons or companies. But, if you buy this list, or have them mail what you want to these possible clients, what will you send them. I don’t know you or what you and or your company are trying to do, but maybe you need to start smaller. Go in person to a few selected prospects. Try and sell yourself to them.

When I moved my business from California to Nebraska in 1995, I too sought new customers. I made up the best letters of introduction I could, and went through the phone books to get companies to send them to. I sent them to hundreds of companies, literally. Only about two worked out, and that was probably a good percentage. Of course, I already had a track history. What is yours?

Your posting doesn’t even say what you are intending to do. Post your ultimate goals and people will be able to help you more.

I’m not trying to throw a cold blanket on your ambitions, but just to ground you a little. What are your immediate plans and goals? What business are you looking to get into? What real experience do you have? Start small and work your way up!

Keep trying and tell us more!

Mike
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am putting something a bit revolutionary together for Drs, lawyers and real estate agenets helping them market themselves in a whole new way.
I have portfolio of my other works and also I am going to offer this service for 1/2 price to some potential clients and use them as more portfolio base.
I have a clear idea of who this works the best for and also know different magazines that i can have ads placed into.
The thing is that being a 25 year old i dont have a lot of advertisement background so i dont want to burn my little hard earned money by using it wrongly, therefore i beleive this mailer is the best way to go. radio ads are cheaper than cable tv comparing to 2000 a month they have quoted me so this is the path i'm following.

At this stage i need a nice professional website and getting my name out...
any suggestion is welcomed
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dan,

Maybe the best way to start would be to make up a mailer of your own. We get them and see them everyday, and you could get ideas off of those. I'm assuming you have a computer and printer of course, you just about have to have one.

Your local phone book will list every possible lawyer, doctor and real estate agency. Just make up the flyer and mail it to some or all. Follow-up with another in about a week or two, maybe slightly different, and maybe saying you will be in their area in about a week and would like to show them the benefits of your service. Then do it, go to a few of the offices. The doctors and lawyers offices would be the most difficult to get into, but you can try hard. You will probably be talking to office managers, turn on that charm. The real estate offices should be the easiest to get into, they expect people to come in off of the street. Also their time is not as structured.

When you get a response from someone or when you visit an office, leave them a CD or DVD showing what you are offering. Perhaps make a presentation for a phantom company. CDs and DVDs are pretty inexpensive for us to make these days, so that is a good method. Some offices will have computers with only CD drives, and some will have DVD drives, but all will have computers. Do you have a laptop, or maybe a small portable DVD player?

This approach will be much less expensive than either radio or TV, and you can test and refine your presentation as you go. Plus, you will be the only one involved, and you will not have to deal with media people, right away.

Without knowing more about what you are proposing, that is about all the advice I can give. If I can help you in any way, please let me know, I would be delighted to help.

Also there was a post on this site about a month ago, with a member offering to build websites. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll find it for you. I believe the tilte was "anyone need a website," and he was charging about $180.00. Probably if you ask, there are several here who could do it.

Mike
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Dan,

Maybe the best way to start would be to make up a mailer of your own. We get them and see them everyday, and you could get ideas off of those. I'm assuming you have a computer and printer of course, you just about have to have one.

Your local phone book will list every possible lawyer, doctor and real estate agency. Just make up the flyer and mail it to some or all. Follow-up with another in about a week or two, maybe slightly different, and maybe saying you will be in their area in about a week and would like to show them the benefits of your service. Then do it, go to a few of the offices. The doctors and lawyers offices would be the most difficult to get into, but you can try hard. You will probably be talking to office managers, turn on that charm. The real estate offices should be the easiest to get into, they expect people to come in off of the street. Also their time is not as structured.

When you get a response from someone or when you visit an office, leave them a CD or DVD showing what you are offering. Perhaps make a presentation for a phantom company. CDs and DVDs are pretty inexpensive for us to make these days, so that is a good method. Some offices will have computers with only CD drives, and some will have DVD drives, but all will have computers. Do you have a laptop, or maybe a small portable DVD player?

This approach will be much less expensive than either radio or TV, and you can test and refine your presentation as you go. Plus, you will be the only one involved, and you will not have to deal with media people, right away.

Without knowing more about what you are proposing, that is about all the advice I can give. If I can help you in any way, please let me know, I would be delighted to help.

Also there was a post on this site about a month ago, with a member offering to build websites. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll find it for you. I believe the tilte was "anyone need a website," and he was charging about $180.00. Probably if you ask, there are several here who could do it.

Mike

mike thanx so much. yea these info are good enough
actually I was about to go ahead with this idea BUT I felt that if i use a company they will send out 2000 for example mailer in one day for me instead i having to go through the YP and getting the addresses making lables and packing these stuff and sending....
any suggestion on how to go about it so it is less time consuming?
being in school and starting this business and tons of what life has to offer time is very short and valuable to me like everyone else.
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media