HD, it's gonna be a while at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Major Player

HD, it's gonna be a while

For a time I was optimistic that HD would take off fast in the consumer market (fast being in 5 years.) But with this looming format war, and the fact that both sides (Sony and Toshiba) don't want to come up with a universal format, I'm not too convinced that HD will be another DVD revolution. Maybe if companies come out with backward compatible players...but how expensive would that be? And to top it all off, the HD sets on display at stores like Walmart really don't look all that great. Things are not looking good for the HD consumer market, IMO.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, as far as attracting a market goes, I think HD DVD has got a better chance. The HD DVD players are backwards compatible.

They've also patented a disc that's HD DVD on one side, and DVD on the other so that today's consumers can start buying for their next collection and enjoy the movies without having to immediately buy a new player.
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Trustee

BOTH HD&BR players will be backwards compatible no matter what. it's written into the spex, i believe. so the problem isn't backwards compatibility, the problem is which PHYSICAL format. both sides have similar SOFTWARE formats. it's now all about the PHYSICAL format itself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media