CNN doing away with videographers, editors: going to amateurs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Space Hipster

CNN doing away with videographers, editors: going to amateurs

I must say, this is very disquieting. I'm glad i got out of TV news when I could:

Walter Biscardi: For now, editing is a commodity and less a craft
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: CNN doing away with videographers, editors: going to amateurs

I saw this coming a decade ago. Broadcast television is doomed. Nobody likes watching ads, buying hundreds of cable channels when they only watch a few shows, and having to pay to archive the shows so that they can watch them at a decent hour.

We are now in a decentralized Internet age. The Internet is the greatest equalizer our society has seen since the invention of the firearm.

Anyone can start their own news agency with basic equipment and compelling stories. CNN is just trying to recruit and centralize that cheap talent to benefit them. I've been thinking about recording some news-type stories myself.
Old December 4th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep folk will do it just to see their name on TV (present company excepted :) The upside, if there is one, might be it'll give young talent a start they may never get otherwise .. that is if the unions don't step in.

Hands up those who want to be a TV news editor .. some spots coming up me thinks.

Cheers.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

News has always the area where new people came through and quite a few moved onto different areas of production. It's easy to do it as a hobby, the hard bit is earning your living at it and the White House isn't going to allow crews in without credentials.

In news the video journalist has been replacing the traditional crews on local news, which tends to be softer and it keeps the costs down. On hard news the person on the spot can capture footage, which adds to the overall story, but the demand for up to date 24 hour news still needs the crews to tie this material together in extremely tight deadlines.

It really depends on the areas that CNN wants to use this new material and if the traditional staff are now going to be replaced by new jobs that involve filtering and selecting this material.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Every news agency that does this leaves themselves wide open to spoofs, doctored footage, one-sided reportage, etc. and will soon be regarded as only a source of entertainment.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Every news agency that does this leaves themselves wide open to spoofs, doctored footage, one-sided reportage, etc. and will soon be regarded as only a source of entertainment.
This is different from what we already have how?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Nash View Post
This is different from what we already have how?
Your question is open to multiple interpretations, or is maybe rhetorical? But for instance, these days if I go to a protest or rally to photograph I usually see coverage by paid journalists who have something to lose, a job, if their reportage is faked or biased.

But there have been documented instances of people being photoshopped in to make crowds at events look larger, so humanity is already doomed I suppose.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The only happy news production crews i've met are ones that have gotten out of the news business
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sad, I wanted to get into the news videographer business, but when I looked into it I was told that only young free interns willing to write, shoot, edit, and get coffee will have work, (sorry I'm 34 to old to work for free).
Scott Holchin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media