What role do trailers play on the Indy circuit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What role do trailers play on the Indy circuit?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if you think trailers have any actual usefulness when they're cut for Indy films. I'm not talking about Indy films that get distribution from fox searchlight, or something like that, I'm talking about low budget stuff that might get in one or two local film fests and maybe a tri-state, regional type fest, all the way up to a film that might have good quality paid actors that screens at maybe one national fest and a bunch of regional fests.

I have only been to a few local fests. Are trailers shown before screenings? And if so, for what films?

Seems like every other Indy filmmaker is cutting their own trailers, with varying degrees of success, for every film they do and posting it on Vimeo or YouTube... Im not saying I could do any better, but honestly some of the trailers for low budget short films do more harm than good, in terms of me going to want to see them.

Alex
Alex Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What role do trailers play on the Indy circuit?

Don't underestimate the value of a great trailer. Some new producers finish theirs as an afterthought just before they crash out exhausted, burnt out, broke or crazy. Sometimes it needs another producer to make it, it's worth checking around for ideas.

Good for pointers on utube etc .. watch out for fake, spoiler and your competition comments tho.

Some fests run trailers, if it's a 2 or more day affair.

Cheers.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan

watch out for fake, spoiler and your competition comments tho.
Not sure what you mean by this?
Alex Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Alex .. if you post your trailer on the web, take no notice of adverse comments.

Cheers.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

I do find it a little weird to see trailers for short films. It's already a short film, why do you need an even more condensed preview of it? I guess it makes some sense if it's a longer short (10+) minutes as opposed to 2-3.

I don't know what role they play in the indie world, exactly (by the way when you spell it "Indy" it makes me think of cars. Especially when you say "Indy Circuit" :-)), but, as a viewer, you can definitely get a feel for how polished or professional the film, and by extension, the filmmaker(s) is/are.

If I watch a trailer and see bad acting, bad cinematography, noisy or reverby sound, etc., I know it's probably not a very good film. If I were a potential viewer, this would be my "stay away!" cue. I've also noticed a trend where people seem to think they need to make a 2+ minute trailer (I guess 'cause some Hollywood movies do so), often way too long for the type of story they're telling (I'm talking to you, mostly-mindless-slasher film). If all your movie's really about is "dumb kids' car breaks down, trapped in woods with killer, must escape", chances are you don't need 2.5 minutes to convey that. I recently saw someone's trailer that was very close to that, and seemed like they were almost letting ENTIRE SCENES play out in the trailer itself.

To sum up - I feel your trailer can convey the quality of your film in many ways without having to watch the film itself, and shorter is better.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media