Recording "Upcoverted" SD??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Recording "Upcoverted" SD???

Hi!

I shot footage for a 24p feature years ago on a DVX-100 with an anamorphic lens attachment. That footage is 854 X480.

I'd like to finish the feature, but now everything is HD, so I've got an idea….

I have a blue ray player that "upconverts" SD DVDs to an HD 1920 X1080 signal….so if I make SD DVDs of all the DVX-100 footage then play these DVDs in the blue ray player, couldn't I (while it's playing) RECORD the "unconverted" 1920 X 1080 signal coming from the HDMI OUT on the blue ray player to an HDMI IN on another device (like a camera or my mac or something) and end up with "forged" 1920 X 1080 footage….

I know it won't be the same thing as shooting in 1920 X 1080 at all but I was hoping to mix this "forged" footage with footage I'll soon shoot on an HD camera.

In fact, if this works, I might even just finish the feature on an SD camera with 24p and 16 X 9 Squeeze Mode.

Thanks!

Lisa
Lisa Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recording "Upcoverted" SD???

Unfortunately, all consumer Blu-ray players have copy protection consistently on for the HDMI out. You'd be lucky to even find a Blu-ray player with Component out (which is required for 1920x1080)

Gefen offers a hardware up-converter that takes in S-Video from for instance from the DVX100: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610273-REG/Gefen_GTV_COMPSVID_2_HDMIS_TV_Composite_to_HDMI.html
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Tourist

Re: Recording "Upcoverted" SD???

Awesome!

Thank You!
Lisa Maher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media