Saving British Columbia's Film and TV Industries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Saving British Columbia's Film and TV Industries

Hollywood North hasn't been as active lately because the incentives offered by the BC government isn't competitive with the rest of the world and the rest of Canada. Productions follow where the biggest cost savings are, and that means more productions are in different parts of the world, while the unemployed film crew pool gets higher and higher.

Our Premier has refused to be more competitive with other parts of the world, thinking that we already get enough funding. However, the credit that is currently imposed only covers labor costs, and does not cover the entire cost of a production unlike places like Ontario or Quebec.

What say any fellow BC residents in the Film and TV industries? Word was being passed around that we face a 90% unemployment rate should things be left the way it is...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Saving British Columbia's Film and TV Industries

The film business is booming just north of you in Alaska. It seems like a new dumb down Alaska reality show is being created here every day.

I see adds in the Anchorage area for production & camera people. Plus Alaska gives away the store in tax incentives to producers. Always room for another dumb down Alaska reality show.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's in no way helping BC... Our Premier needs to get it together and realize Alaska, Ontario and Quebec are beating us for major productions.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Major Player

It's called capitalism. Producers will go to areas of low costs. If BC offers lowers cost and lucrative tax incentives, I'm sure Alaska and others will just offer better. Vancouver had a good run for awhile for movie makers, then it got too expensive, and then others began offering better deals.

With Alaska's unusual multicultural history. I'm surprised no Producer has taken advantage of it. There are two events in Alaska history which are really unusual and bazaar. They are stranger than most fiction.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That is exactly why our industry is demanding the BC Government to offer more competitive rates. We just had a huge town hall to discuss the problems and solutions to this problem: B.C. film industry rally draws thousands - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The same thing happened here in North Carolina to the local film industry. The economic winds shifted and it became cheaper to run productions in Georgia. Lots of people were left to chase the jobs like carnies running to the next town behind the elephants or go without. After more than a 10 year slump it is showing signs of life here again.

If you can get your local legislators to help bring things back into competitive range that would be great. The probabilities (if you look at what has happened elsewhere) are likely grim. If you want to stay ahead of the curve and in the industry you need to be one of the first to pack up and leave with the industry instead of complaining to the government as they drive away.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Major Player

I agree with Chris. We are in a world economy. Better to use your time and resources to follow the business.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

So, I should move to Toronto like everyone else? I am a recent graduate of post-secondary so there is NO WAY I can move to the east coast when I don't even have my first job...

Our province trains skills for future people in the industry well, but if you are correct, nobody stays. It's even harder to move when you're still seeking your first job in a dying industry locally.

I'm screwed. These aren't words of wisdom, these words just say to me "You're doomed."
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You are only "doomed" to not be in the film industry if you choose to not change and adapt to stay with it. If you are unable to do what it takes to be in the industry then its best to know that early so you can change your goals.

We are all presented with those kind of situations in life. Mine came in the form of a very serious motorcycle wreck that ended my military career before it even started.

You never know what will happen. In my case I didn't make it into NASA via the Air Force as I hopped but instead I'm one of the top engineers in my field world wide.

It hasn't been a bad trip even though it has been a very different one than I expected.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Chris is right again. At age 50 I began to loose my ability to walk, and ability to carry even a five pound camera or tripod. Soon it was over for me. Life is not fair. Enjoy the health and youth that you have now, and keep a "open mind". It's a world economy. You can join it, or sit and watch the world pass you by. It's your choice.
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

It looks like for my education to count, I HAVE to move to Toronto or Petaluma. (Petaluma's the headquarters for the TWiT Netcast network)

Bitching to politicians certainly won't help, so the message is: Move or Bust.
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Virtualy guaranteed that you can reposition yourself to your own best interests faster than the government can act to "help" you...

Yes "community activism" and government intervention can create (often artificial) economic shifts, for better or worse... the next state over sees the money and offers MORE incentives, and whoop, there goes the "industry" if it's "portable".

Ultimately you can only rely on your own initiative (and as noted, even that can change or fade...). Just try to keep a good attitude and make the most sensible choice(s). Sometimes you have to make changes rather than wait for change to come to you...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media