Crowdfunding for the already rich?!?! (KickStarter) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Re: Crowdfunding for the already rich?!?! (KickStarter)

I think I probably said it when this thread started but I'll say it again:

Never understood the "don't spend your own money" thing. Don't we all do that? If you're rich to the point where x amount of dollars doesn't phase your own financial status if you lose it all. . .then why not? What's the point of going through the stress and exhausting work of fundraising when you could simply cut a check? What am I missing? Seems like the equivalent of one of us trying to raise $1 to fund a movie. Why not just spend our own dollar?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:12 PM   #17
New Boot

this ^^^ is why I'm not rich.. Rich people never spend there own money. Spending your own money on risky or guaranteed loosing investments is a quick way to become un-rich.
Dan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Regular Crew

***if spike had to ahere to that, he wouldn't have a dime. the average kickstarter video is short, 2-3 minutes, punchy, and typically fun and interesting. spike's video is nearly 7 minutes of him blabbing, repeating himself, and defensively justifying why he's using kickstarter with correlations that just don't justify. ****

While that might be easy to say, Spike is the only one that built a successful film career out of his own pocket when Hollywood wouldn't touch. The with all of his success he still couldn't get them to finance Malcom X. Something is wrong with Hollywood.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

No words can justify this one, anybody with even a remote knowledge of the industry knows this is beyond ridiculous. I'm not bitter, just confused. In fact it's kind of ironic that people will use kickstarter to get 'discovered' and hopefully pave their way to Hollywood and yet Hollywood is telling them they in fact need kickstarter (crowd funding) to keep their own machine chugging along.

REACH ME THE MOVIE @KICKSTARTER by John Herzfeld — Kickstarter
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

How odd, they reach their goal for funding 'Reach Me' on kickstarter but decide to cancel it and move everything over to indiegogo because they can do things more "freely" there. Also, instead of the $250k they raised, now they only want $50k because somebody anonymously came to their rescue with more cash.

I call BS and shenanigans on this mess, they're just trolling us all and winning a ton of free promo in the process.

REACH ME THE MOVIE @KICKSTARTER (Canceled) by John Herzfeld — Kickstarter
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Interesting take by Odni Timoner at Westdoc this week.she is all in favorof anyone using it as she says it will help validate it to more funders,and it simply is the only wayanyone can gain control of their distribution chain.if fans want to fund a project then why should the artist say no?

Check out Odni's latest successfull crowd sourced project. I didn't know about her until her talk,changed my mind about crowdsourcing. She is really a whirlwind of energy.
A Total Disruption: Ondi Timoner's Portal For Innovators by Ondi Timoner — Kickstarter
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media