Travel insurance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Trustee

Travel insurance?

Not sure if this should be here or in another thread, so mods feel free to move it.

Hi guys,

I´m going to take a 22 days trip through Europe and I´ll be visiting Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia and Portugal (my sister is getting married there). After I´ve left Europe things got really bad...SPECIALLY on these exact countries (I have some friend who had some bad experiences). So I´ve been wondering if it´s worth to get some sort of travel insurance for my gear or not. Am I crazy? Did it really got that bad in the last 3 years since I´ve left?

- Sony Nex7
- Nex 16mm
- SLR Magic 23mm
- NEX 50mm
- Tamron NEX18-200mm
- 4 batts
- Several sd cards

If I was to go for the insurance would it really be worth it to insure absolutely everything or only the more expensive stuff?
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Travel insurance?

Shouldn't cost too much to insure that lot for 22 days. Make sure you get "all risks" cover. I certainly insure mine when visiting Brazil. Do you have the kit insured under a domestic policy in Brazil? If so might be easier to add an endorsement covering your overseas trip.

What about medical cover? Maybe Brazil has some reciprocal arrangement with E.U. countries, i.e. "we'll treat yours if you treat ours", a system which covers every E.U. citizen travelling in every E.U. country.

Whatever cover you get make sure that "terrorist" act isn't excluded. Most travel policies do have this exclusion which means if you/your kit get damaged through say a bomb going off, unlikely but that's what insurance is for, you could be stuck with loss of kit and/or hospital bills.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media