Printer suggestions for a home office... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Printer suggestions for a home office...

Videographer's printer ?

For printing 'labels' onto DVDs direct, and with Fax functions, which will not cost an arm and leg. photo printing/film scanning, just a bonus to me since my digital still died.

Anyone ?

Much appreciated.
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

What about document printing? Do much of that? That determines in part your economics.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

Might want to think about getting two printers. One dedicated to DVD printing. The Epson R200 for DVD printing is about US$100. The Canon i865 is another choice, if you live outside of the United States.
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I have an Epson Stylus CX3200 all in one unit, and while it is not able to print on discs, it gives a good image... when it works. After I had it for about a month, I would get all sorts of errors, mostly scanner problems. Epson said to pack it up and ship it to them- on MY dime- and they would check it over, and eventually send me another. I'll not buy another Epson. Look into HP maybe?
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

Yea, Epson has taken a big hit in customer satisfaction the past few years. Canon and HP are the biggies now. I've thrown out three Epsons in the past six years.

I just got an HP Photosmart but I haven't yet used it enough to really give a review.
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Major Player

The Epson R200 is the ticket. The only printer, besides this strange lightscribe stuff, that can print cd's and dvd's, as far as I know. Works great. Yes, printers get flaky very fast these days. However, a new printer includes a set of ink and costs around $90 on sale. A set of new ink? Around $80.

So, my "green side" really hates to say it, but the printers themselves are nearly expendable. You can nearly toss them at first sign of flakiness when you need new ink cartridges.

Seems horrible, I know.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
The Epson R200 is the ticket. The only printer, besides this strange lightscribe stuff, that can print cd's and dvd's, as far as I know.
The Epsons are not the only ones that can print on DVDs - as long as you live outside the United States, that is. For some reason that I think is related to patents or copyrights, Canon can't sell their printers with the CD/DVD printing in the US.

I'd recommend taking a good look at the Canon printers. I would have probably gotten a Canon myself if they were sold with the DVD printing feature here in the US, but I had to get an Epson instead (an R320). It does a good job printing on DVDs (which is pretty much all I've used it for), except it has been pretty finicky about pulling the CD/DVD tray in lately. It first pushes the tray out a bit before it tries to pull it in, but then it is too far out for it to grab. I have to line it back up when it pushes out it, and then it works fine.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
It first pushes the tray out a bit before it tries to pull it in, but then it is too far out for it to grab. I have to line it back up when it pushes out it, and then it works fine.

Ha! Mine does that, too. I thought it was just mine. Oh well...small price for getting nice labels at home and cheap.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media