"We've got it on tape" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 15th, 2020, 05:08 AM   #1
Wrangler

"We've got it on tape"

I still constantly hear this on major news outlets for things like cellphone video and digital audio recordings. How long do you think this expression can survive? I'm sure that my 10-year-old granddaughter has no idea what it means.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: "We've got it on tape"

I hear so-called professionals call our work "filming" all the time, which is even more ridiculous. The younger you are the more likely you are to use the term "filming", yet the younger you are the less likely it is that you have ever touched a piece of film in your entire life.
Old September 15th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I taught media production in a local high school up until a year ago. I always had a futile one man campaign going to try and stamp out the terms "film" and "filming" in reference to electronic images. At one point I actually carried a little coil of 16mm film in my pocket that I would whip out whenever a student used the words inappropriately, along with a canned speech about how it wasn't "film" unless you were using that stuff.

My crusade went down in total defeat. Finally, one of my respected co-teachers told me to drop it since I was annoying and turning off more students from getting involved with my class than I was enlightening about the technology and history. So I quit pushing it in people's faces although I was still careful to point out the distinctions in lectures and when we would view actual works shot in the different media.

I think this one is a lost cause.
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I agree that it is not worth correcting people about because it just makes you look like a dick. Actually, it has become so mainstream, with so many people who I respect saying it, I've considered giving in and joining the crowd. My preferred term has always been "shooting", but that has some bad connotations all of its own. "Filming" might be in my future. Never say never.
Old September 15th, 2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't think the term "filmmaker" is going away anytime soon either....
Old September 15th, 2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've substituted "recording," "shooting" or "photographing" in my vocabulary for the most part. Still can't bring myself to say "film" unless actual perforated cellulose is involved. Probably it's because I'm one of the few still around in my peer group whose career actually started out shooting real film, and I'm still slightly in awe of the process.
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2020, 10:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I still occasionally refer to a video clip as “footage”.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 05:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Did you google or yahoo or just a simple search for the right term for digital image cature?
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:06 AM   #9
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Bill Magac View Post
I still occasionally refer to a video clip as “footage”.
I see nothing wrong with "footage".
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I think it's because the 'film' refers to the process of recording moving images - so used as a verb, not a noun. So "I'm going to film this, and stick it on a memory card" is fine. The same as when we use the word 'Hoover' as a verb - I'm going hoover that room now - there's rubbish all over the carpet. The actual device might be made by Dyson, Shark, Panasonic or even Hoover.

I must admit, it doesn't so much annoy me using film, but I try to avoid using the term at all, just in case,
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I see nothing wrong with "footage".
How many feet per gigabyte? Do people in countries that use the metric system say "footage"?
Old September 16th, 2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, indeed we do. We actually use both systems. Worst being a sheet of plywood - 8' x 4' x 18mm
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 02:47 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
How many feet per gigabyte? Do people in countries that use the metric system say "footage"?
1 GB = exactly 10 meters. Everybody knows that.
Old September 17th, 2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Major Player

I still say 'filming' because 'video-ing' just doesn't sound right and 'shooting or recording a video' is mouthful.

Likewise its easier to say 'footage' than some 'video clips' or 'video recordings'.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 02:40 PM   #15
Vortex Media

"Rolling" is just as meaningless in today's tapeless and filmless world. BTW, so is "dialing" a telephone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media