DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   The Tragedy of Canada (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/5614-tragedy-canada.html)

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2002 04:31 PM

The Tragedy of Canada

Flying the face of retaliatory Texas jokes, I'm going out on a limb to pick on our Neighbors of the Maple Leaf (for my fellow Texans who are geographically challenged by default of their state's poor education, Canada is a little ways north of Lubbock):

The tragedy of Canada is that they had the perfect opportunity to enjoy French cuisine, British culture and American technology, and instead they ended up with British cuisine, American culture and French technology.

The upside of living on the flat terrain of Winnipeg: It's the only town where you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Cheers to the (surprisingly many) Canajians on this board. I think you actually outnumber the Aussies here. Glad to have ya! Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee. Happy holidays,

Jeff Donald December 21st, 2002 04:59 PM

Those are good. But I'm confused on one point. What exactly is French technology? Is it Citroen?

Jeff

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 21st, 2002 05:23 PM

Well I suppose you can't go wrong with T-FAL (Tefal)...

Nathan Gifford December 21st, 2002 05:34 PM

Look it was bad enough on bicycles they had English and Metric screws. But then the French came along and developed their own screws.

Has that great Canadian Uncle Red (of the Red/Green Show) weighed in on this issue?

John Locke December 21st, 2002 05:53 PM

<<What exactly is French technology? It is Citroen?>>

LOL. That's right...the old 2HP. Kind of makes you think Alvin Straight wasn't so original after all...the French have been getting around on lawnmowers for years.

Hey, Pamela Lee Anderson and Jennifer Connelly are Canooks...so Canada has my undying respect.

(Are there more Aussies than Texans here? I thought we had 'em outnumbered)

Peter Lock December 23rd, 2002 10:10 AM

Surely you mean English Culture, English Technology and Good old English wholesome Grub, the french simply add sauce and the Americans market.
Peter.
Merry Xmas to all.

Ross Milligan December 23rd, 2002 10:55 AM

Excuse me while I remove this large chip from my shoulder......but how did we get from British to English exactly? - the two not being the same :-)

Ross

Peter Lock December 23rd, 2002 11:15 AM

My appologies Ross, it's what comes from living in Tony Blairs intergrated new third way multi cultural EEC.
Just trying to retain part of my heritage.
In fact Scotland in itself should be known as the Mother Country of invention.
Peter

Chris Hurd December 23rd, 2002 11:16 AM

I've forgotten what the Empire's mission is... to keep England British, or to keep Britain English? I suspect the latter.

Many Americans wonder why the packaging and instructions for most consumer appliances (washing machines, televisions, etc.) are printed in French... it's because the same goods are shipped to Canada. The concept is lost on 95% of all U.S. citizens, I bet.

Adrian van der Park December 23rd, 2002 01:03 PM

You must be confusing Jennifer Connelly with Neve Campbell.
The former being born and raised in New York.

Now Natasha Henstridge is from Ft. Mc Murray Alberta, and later moved to Oakville Ontario, and went to a rival highschool of mine at the same time I was in school. Even back then she was gorgeous.

Adrian

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : <<What exactly is French technology? It is Citroen?>>

LOL. That's right...the old 2HP. Kind of makes you think Alvin Straight wasn't so original after all...the French have been getting around on lawnmowers for years.

Hey, Pamela Lee Anderson and Jennifer Connelly are Canooks...so Canada has my undying respect.

(Are there more Aussies than Texans here? I thought we had 'em outnumbered) -->>>

Jeff Donald December 23rd, 2002 01:31 PM

The confusion gets deeper. I'm pretty sure English (British, Scottish) Technology is Jaguar. But English Grub has me confused. Is that mutton and eel?

Jeff

Bill Ravens December 23rd, 2002 02:14 PM

As the inimitable Monty Python would say (life of brian)...
"eastern swallow or western?"

Chris Hurd December 23rd, 2002 02:30 PM

African swallow or European swallow.

I don't know that... aaaaggghhh.

Joe Carney December 23rd, 2002 02:45 PM

>>Is that mutton and eel?
<<
Mutton is French. It means 'Lamb ruined by English cooks'.

Sorry , couldn't resist.

Jeff Donald December 23rd, 2002 02:53 PM

That's OK, Jaguar means Ford.

Jeff