Theater owners want cell phones blocked at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Trustee

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Dec. 17 (UPI) -- The National Association of Theater Owners wants the Federal Communications Commission to allow the blocking of cell phone signals in theaters.

Read More
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Me Too!

Don't think they will get it, but with how rude people are these days, perhaps something will be done. Maybe they can ad irritating background noise, or instructions to take the call outside. I am tired of sitting in a theater and listening to people carry on cell phone conversations.

JMHO------Mike
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

I want commercials before films blocked.
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Funny how cell phone blockers are made in the USA, but are illegal to market, buy, sell or own in the USA.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yup,

I'm guessing that the first doctor who misses a call, or the first transplant recipient waiting for a page, that gets a call blocked will start a whole new area of litigation.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #6
ChorizoSmells

That reminds me of some groups that sprang up over here a couple of years ago. Cell phone signal jamming devices were popular among the techno geeks back then and some groups formed who went around in public and would activate the device whenever people would talk out loud in a public place like a train or theater or some other place like that.

The device would cut the cell phone signal so the phone would just seem to hang up. It was small enough to fit in your pocket and they had a short range, about 4 or 5 meters. It's been awhile but that's what I remember of them. It's not such a problem now, seems everyone is sending more email on their phones than talking on them.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Sanchez
It's not such a problem now, seems everyone is sending more email on their phones than talking on them.
Unfortunately that isn't the case here. It's hard to go anywhere and not see people talking on their cell phones, completely oblivious to how annoying they are. And it's also amazing how people are willing to share intimate details of their lives with everyone else on a train, supermarket or restaurant.

I suppose I'm guilty of this at times myself, but at least I try to be aware. It's hard to remember how anybody managed to survive without cell phones in the past. It was a simpler time, and I often wish we could go back to it.

I'm all for blocking them in theatres (considering my profession ;-) The Philadelphia Orchestra's new concert hall at the Kimmel Center doesn't seem to allow cell phone reception. But evidently this has to do with its construction and not any sort of active signal interference. But the greatest irony is that it's called Verizon Hall! Really!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The worst part is standing in line at Starbucks behind someone chatting away and when they get to the counter don't have an idea as to what they want. Nothing like pissing off the morning people without their first cup of coffee in them.
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #9
Major Player

most of my clients are within the theaters (opera etc) there are a lot of very rude people with cell phones.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media