Pete Townshend Warns iPod Users! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pete Townshend Warns iPod Users!

Pete Townshend warns iPod users about constant use of headphones associated with gradual hearing loss.

Article
http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...11176&GT1=7538
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yeah, I saw that on the news this morning. I wonder other health tips Pete has for us? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hey, I don't know what other words of medical wisdom Pete Townshend has, but I'll add a few since my name is Pete, too.

I'm just an MD who holds board certification in two preventive medicine specialties...who am I to argue medical facts with a rock star? ;-)

So I must completely agree with Mr. Townshend. Noise-induced hearing loss is epidemic in modern society, and I strongly believe that earphone use substantially contributes to the problem. People tend to turn earphones to a louder decibel level than they do regular speaker systems, and the convenience allows for increased exposure times.

More Decibels x More Time = More Hearing Loss.

I personally take it seriously. If I'm going to a concert or even a loud bar, I'll wear earplugs. When I fly in military jets, I wear earplugs under my helmet. It may sound silly to some people who haven't experienced hearing loss; people like Mr. Townshend who HAVE lost a lot of hearing think otherwise. Like he says, once it's gone, it's gone.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been listening to my iPod for months now and I couldn't hear anything you guys been saying...

Actually I have been in the music biz for 25 years DJing etc and played VERY loud music and my ears have not suffered yet. huh? what did you say? Come again?
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I agree with Mr. Townsend... Those huge amps and speakers at a concert have got to be way less damaging than earbuds... Wha???
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I’m afraid I have to agree with the two Pete’s. I lost a lot of hearing in the Army wearing a headset. Mine started with a mission, where I sat at a radar console for 24 hour straight. When it was over I had permanent hearing loss, and it only worsened with time. Also have tinnitus, ringing in the ears, and you don’t want any of this. There is no such thing as a quiet place in my world.

Sadly, this warning is issued quite often, yet almost all ignore it. All think they can beat the odds. But once it starts, it’s too late.

Mike
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

Well I'm sure you guys are right about hearing loss, it is a serious thing. I was making light of the messenger, not the message. But if it makes someone think twice about this issue I guess that's a good thing.

Personally... my rock concert days have been over for 30 years, and I don't use earbuds (dislike the idea of having anything inserted into my ear). I know a lot of stagehands who work the rock concerts. They all wear earplugs. I probably have some hearing loss resulting from years of work in scenery construction.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Air China Pilot

I told this to my girlfriend because she is always telling me to either turn my music off or wear headphones. She said she wanted me to keep my hearing so we would have to buy a new house with a separate room for my computer and stereo.
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Doesn't Ted Nugent have some hearing loss because of his days on stage?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #10
Trustee

I'm afraid that while I agree with most statements on hearing loss, I actually love the newer soft ear buds. The ones with foam or soft silicone rubber that blocks out all the outside sounds. I think one of the reasons folks listen with the volume so high is that they aren't getting any isolation from outside sounds. They keep jacking those things up until they overcome the sounds around them and by then the overall spl is way to high. I recommend completly closed (ols style) headphones or the soft ear buds. Besides, without a good acoustic seal to your head, you are missing most of the low freqs. anyway.

My 2 centavos.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Major Player

not much more i can contribute to this conversation i'm just posting this so i'm not sitting with 13 posts under my name! its unlucky and i need my luck so i'll just say rock on Pete the Who were awsome =)

take care guys ...."if it's too loud your too old" wise words from that film Airheads!
Andy Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham

take care guys ...."if it's too loud your too old" wise words from that film Airheads!
Not hard to see why this is a constant and increasingly bad problem!

Mike
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Major Player

What about standing in front of Marshall Stacks ones whole life ?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

You'd probably get more impulse-noise damage that way, but it's not really as bad as the constant lower level stuff.
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media