Updates on the Macworld Expo... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Updates on the Macworld Expo...

New Intel Core Duo iMac and intel Macbook. (There're other new products, such as the iWork '06, iLife '06, and 10.4.4, oh and new FM tuner/remote for Ipod)
No more powerbook, since apple can't fit G5 processor into a notebook for power comsumption and other reasons.

Now there're the new macs, one thing that's left out was the hype about 64 bit processing power.

So, besides the updates, I would like to ask for 1. opinions about future FCP develpment and 2. also what's going to happen to the current fcp. In other words if we are going to install the fcp 5 for powerpc we are going to run it on/thru rosetta. I think my first question should be legit, however my second question is a little (i dont' even know what I'm talking about). I know that apple is going to have this exchange program where we can exchange the current version of FCP to a version with universal binary codes. However:

I guess I don't know how to ask this second question properly, because I have no com sci background. But for those who have, maybe you can guess what i'm trying to say here. My point is that the newest powermac is a quad core G5, thus it's 64 bit processing power that's able to address tremendous amount of memories. The 32 bit processor is limited to 4GB. To me, it seems like stepping backwards for the lower-end system. Wouldn't this 64 and 32 bit processing difference cause the FCP to be in some sort of trouble??? Maybe an example will be better. Say, I buy a new intel macbook for mobility and a powermac g5 for workstation, is FCP 6 (the one that's coming out in 1st or 2nd quarter of 06) not going to take the processing power of the 64 bit? If that's the case, then there's no point of my buying a 64 bit Quad G5 at this point. Or maybe I'm looking at the 32/64 bit the wrong way; it has nothing to do with them??????

Feel free to submit any opinion, and if my question is stupid due to my limited knowledge please correct me or point me to the right direction thank you!!!
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you find out when and if they will have support for the JVC HD100U. Thanks
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #3
New Boot

15 inch Macbook on sale now

I went to the apple site just now and the 15.4 inch intel based macbook is now on sale.
:)
Nick Sommerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

For sale, but not shipping for a month.

FCP 5 supports both 32 bit computers and 64 bit computers. So will FCP 6. When the Merom is released (and the Conroe is put into Apple's successor to the G5), it will be 64 bit anyhow. Also, the new iMacs are far faster than the old ones. I was able to play back h264 at 1080/24p no problem on one of them. So while they don't support 64 bit, they are much faster than the previous generation. (Although I guess theoretically they can address less RAM, but what iMac owners have more than 4gb?)
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media