PC or MAC - ALL editors should see this clip! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

PC or MAC - ALL editors should see this clip!

Regardless of your 'platform religion', you will EMPATHIZE with this poor SOB.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...794&pr=goog-sl
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Ranting Dude...RTFM!

Last edited by Glenn Davidson; February 8th, 2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: TYPO
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Thats quite worrying considering i'm in the process of switching from a PC to a G5 Quad, I hope he's exaggerating!

Are there any clips about why macs are the best thing since the stripper pole!

Andy.
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sure Andy, it's called "Mac Marketing".

To be fair, ALL platforms suffer from egregious issues... but also to be fair the "Mac" aura is all about how much more stable it is than a PC (based primarily on the lack of viruses written for the OS). And yes, I use both.

I just think it's a clever little piece that people who've suffered all those issues would empathize with. (And yes, I've suffered ALL those issues...)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

You know this industry we have chosen is the most expensive, the most unsure and the most rewarding job if it goes right.

When I go to Edinburgh i watch the population (i call them sheep) go about their business in their suits and I know all they will see is a desk for their whole working lives.

I love filmmaking and videography because like forrest gump you never know what your gonna get. I've fillmed with heroin addicts, disabled theatre groups,weddings, i've been in light aircraft with the doors open hanging out with my camera and filmed in cave systems and i've only been doing it a couple of years since i left college.

In my opinion its the best job on the planet and you don't have to be spielberg to get that kind of satisfaction especially with todays HDV cameras.

So if the kit you need to stay in this job is expensive and problematic then I say bring it on.
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Richard, that gave me a good laugh! I'm a Mac user now, having got SO sick of PC's after 10 or so years of using and programming them - I bought a Dual Core G5.

I am so glad I switched but that's not without problems, the Mac has done some seriously STUPID and FRUSTRATING things to me in this short time, and it is different to use, that's for sure.

But the good out weight the bad IMO.

For non supertechy people, I'd recommend them in a flash. Their out of the box experience, iLife etc, can just do so much for for a user than windows. They are sexier, sleeker and smoother. I will never recommend a PC to any family member any more.
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Major Player

I got fed up with PC's and decided to buy an iMac for interent use about a year ago. Best choice I have made. I have had NONE of the problems that guy is talking about. In fact, I have NO idea what he is talking about other than the "the clover button". That's it.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Andy, you are SO right!

"Mac or PC, Canon or Panasonic, they still are evil machines that get in the way of doing our real work while pretending to facilitate it."

Do you go to Edinburgh for the Festival or are you a Scot?
Eric Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Major Player

PC and MACS only do what we tell them to do and the majority of problems are user errors.

And Adam? I use a Dell Precision PC and have had ZERO issues with it. MAc simply has the most clever marketing campaign; what species their marketing to exactly I'm not sure.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Major Player

I was brought up using PC's.
Then i saw a G4 (1st edition) and i loved and wanted a mac.
THen i got a PC and i could edit with it and thought Macs were a waste of Money and the rest. This lasted for some time.

Then I recently bought a Mac, so now i own both!
I dont really care what platform i use- As long as it works.

Funny that isnt it?
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have worked with both. It's kinda like Chevy and Ford. I drive a Ford but when I want to win I race all Chevy. Macs are like Fords. It takes a lot of money to beat a Chevy or a lot of rule changing in their favor... But the old Ford is reliable but they don't win as many races ;)

The Truth---> http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #12
Major Player

Eric I'm a true Scot (no underwear under my Kilt!), i live 20 miles from edinburgh but have had long ties with it.....I went to college there for three years then when i left i worked in a whiskey factory to make some money to buy equipment then started a Film company with some friends from college who live in Edinburgh so i drive there just about every day.

I do go to the Edinburgh film festival but haven't entered anything yet. Alot of the stuff you see are short films which aren't my cup of tea....they look good but havn't much market value where as if you make a feature or documentary you can sell it.

In the summer a few of us are intending to tour Scotland on road legal Quad bikes for a childrens charity. Its gonna take ages because they are only safe to drive at around 50 mph max, Anyway i thought it would make a good documentary so i'm packing my XL1s and tripod.

Andy.
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #13
Major Player

That spoof is O-L-D... but still funny. I think it was 2-4 years ago the first time I saw it, but the "Jack Russell Terrier" bit still cracks me up.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Finally, a Mac user with a sense of humor. Bring on the Apacolypse.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hudson
MAc simply has the most clever marketing campaign; what species their marketing to exactly I'm not sure.
BINGO.

Nothing is sillier than someone who believes hype and falls in love with their product of choice... whether it be a Mac, PC, XL2, DVX100 (ahem), Ford, Chevy, Miller, Bud, Caesars, Bellagio, Blondes, Brunettes, ****, *******, Star Wars, Star Trek, iPods, other MP3 players that don't suck, Playboy, Penthouse, boxers, briefs, Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair, VHS, Betamax, Big Mac, Whopper, breasts........, wings.

Y'all get the picture.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media