How come 24P doesn't induce headaches? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Trustee

How come 24P doesn't induce headaches?

Is it not interesting that a monitor running at 60i would cause a headache, whereas a film viewed 24P does not?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Millions of NTSC tube tv's run at 60i. The first few days I spent in a PAL country I noticed a definite flicker on my 50i CRT screen, but got used to it quickly.

I think the real issue with headaches has to do with computer monitors running at 60hz in offices with flourescent lighting. And in this case (I think) it would actually be 60p since computer monitors aren't interlaced.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Trustee

I was actually thinking of interlaced monitors, but even 60p would give me a headache. My monitors run at 85Hz, and I would run them higher if I could. So you say it's due to the lighting? I never thought about that.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been prone to headaches all my life and i get them watching any kind of screen for too long. I reckon it's just that some people's eyes are more sensetive to light, A bright sunny day can give me a headache aswell......which isn't a big problem because I live in Scotland.

Another reason I thought about is that even though I can see perfectly maybe my eyes are straining just a little bit to allow me to see perfectly which causes a headache. Whatever the cause I get them pretty much every couple of days since I was 7.

Andy.
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

There are hundreds of posts, where trying to produce 24p material has caused many headaches. However, I don't think watching it should be an issue... unless it is done really badly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media