Los Angeles - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 31st, 2003, 02:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

My experience with Californians out here in FL has been mixed. Sounds like the jerks leave the state and harrass the rest of us.

After reading all this, you folks are making me want to go out and check out L.A. Except I have streaks of gray in my hair , which I hear, scares the heck out of people. hehehe

I have a question. I've heard mixed reviews about actually shooting a feature out there. Mostly negative comments about the unions. But then I've heard about times when the unions were great and helped an aspiring filmmaker for next to nothing.

What is it really like to shoot a feature in L.A. Even a digital one?
Does it really cost that much more than say NYC or Miami?

BTW, under most circumstances, I'm pro union.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 01:59 AM   #17
New Boot

Don't know if it's too late 4 u to see this but,
NOSHI sushi on Beverly near Western in Hllyd is hands down the best sushi deal in town.
Cash only. Closed Mondays.

And really, Hamburger Hamlet has a betta burger, but it's a sit-down not a drive thru. There's one across from the Chinese Theatre.
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #18
Wrangler

Hamburger Hamlet

Of historical note, that was George Lucas's favorite restaurant in Hollywood (hamburgers were his favorite food--hence the shape of the Millenium Falcon), and he sat eating a hamburger in that very restaurant on an evening in May 1977 while crowds lined the block waiting for STAR WARS to open. At the time he was convinced the movie would fizzle, and he escaped to Hawaii to vacation with his wife Marcia and friend Steven Spielberg. It was on this vacation that Spielberg (irked that he wasn't picked to direct the next James Bond film) and Lucas cooked up the idea of Indiana Jones, and today a wonderful larger-than-life mural depicting Spielberg eyeing a Raiders of the Lost Ark logistical model with a director's viewfinder out on the desert location adorns the wall of the restaurant.

They have good chocolate malts.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Found a Johnny-Rockets joint in Upstate New York...

The ambiance is excellent, and the burgers are great.

I'd eat there again.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Important issue to keep in mind.
Wherever you go there you are.
Best of luck on your move west
KennJ
Kenn Jolemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #21
Major Player

There is a very interesting area in Hollywood between Vine St and Western on Franklin Ave, on the North side of the street. The streets surrounding the area have many older apartment buildings, some that are incredibly photogenic, and they are filled with people working in the business or trying to break in the business, along with actors looking for their next gig. Many of these people gravitate to the bistros and coffee houses along Franklin. These are great places to meet and network with others. Good food in most of the restaurants at reasonable prices. The whole street has a bit of a New York flavor. Not your typical L.A. scene. Check the bulletin boards by the supermarkets for postings on people looking for roomies. That's the best way to afford decent digs. But do try to spend some time on Franklin Ave., and if you can worm your way into to one of the old apartment buildings, they are worth a look. Probably the best time to hit Franklin is a Saturday when lots of folks are chillin out, and there is a good vibe. Also, the weekend evening gets very interesting, but people are looking for fun, rather than job hunting. And a lot of outsiders come in on the weekend nights. Be sure to drive up one of the neighboring canyons, like Bronson Canyon, to get a taste of the good life in L.A. Oh, to be young and single again.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Sad to say, I've found nothing like what you guys are talking about, out here in FL, Boca, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Maybe up in Orlando, but thats quite a drive to do all the time. They have pockets and individuals, but not a community per se like L.A, NY or Vancouver. Wish they did.

I ask again, will my gray streaks feak out the forever young locals out in LaLa land? hehehe. After listening I want to at least visit.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #23
Regular Crew

i don't think people will be freaked by the grey. i hang out some a lot of people my parent's age here, and they're always the most successful! its not your age, its your energy level. :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media