Indie 16mm film camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Indie 16mm film camera

Several months ago I somehow found my way onto a site selling a newly designed 16mm film camera at a very low cost. It was new and fairly cheap and realitively small and it was not an old russian one or bolex or anything like that and it was not a refurb or recondidition one.

It was small and targetted specifically at indie and other low budget people to buy (I think it was around the 4-5k price mark) and advertised as a HD alternative I think.

Anyway, Just trying to find the website, if anyone knows it would greatly apperciate it.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #2
Major Player

never mind, after days of searching I found it... right after i made a post about not being able to find it - Isn't it always like that, right after you give up you stumble onto it

So others know its called the A-CAM SP16 by ikonoshkop at http://www.ikonoskop.com/
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Interesting until you watch the demo reel...
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think that considered just a crash cam. I don't think it holds very much film. And unless they've changed the design, it uses a range finder so you don't actually see what the lens is capturing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Ya, last time I saw it before i found it again their wasn't any footage. I've never shoot 16mm and wanted to see how it compared to 35mm from a lowend camera.

So far I've been very dissapointed in what 16mm offers, higher cost and lower image quality than hdv from what i've seen.

Interesting idea though.
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Oh, I don't know. If I could afford it I'd shoot film and do an HD telecine. I think practically everybody would if money was no issue, but unfortunately, it most definitely is.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Wrangler

[QUOTE=Keith WakehamSo far I've been very dissapointed in what 16mm offers, higher cost and lower image quality than hdv from what i've seen.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the HDV footage is generated by a 1/3" camera, properly shot Super16mm footage with a quality HD transfer will be superior in many respects, although this is a subjective observation. The best HD systems out there are now challenging alternatives to film, although the highlight overexposure handling of film is still the "holy grail" benchmark that HD has not yet met.
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I meant in terms of random noise. The stuff that A-cam had online seemed very grainy which even at standard def resulted in what looks more like random noise.

I'm one who can't stand colour splotching and random noise at all but luckily i'm an engineer and not a cinematographer. So from my standpoint any variance that can occur from one frame to the next that is common but unpredictable isn't a good thing. Some people like this look but as an engineer what I want captured should be predictable based on specifications. Just my take guys.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Film is still king in acquisition but in terms of post and delivery - digital all the way baby!
Phil Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Major Player

That is one stylish cam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media