Hello, I'm a MAC... and I'm a PC - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
I vote for Virus and Network myself. It slays me when PC gets jealous over Mac being able to talk in Japanese to the "digital camera" girl..."Bonjourno...hello...?"

But then I watched the iLife one again, and that's killer too. Great campaign. So simple and so well done.
Hello... I'm a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hudson
I ask again: With less than 4% of the worlds market share, who is buying this nonsesne ?
...and I'm a PC.

- - - -
Just kidding around, all in good fun ;)

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #32
Major Player

I cant see the pictures!!!

I hear it but I cant see... whats wrong with my Quick time? I DL'ed the update.... what have I done wrong?
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:

I ask again:

With less than 4% of the worlds market share, who is buying this nonsesne ?

since the 19th century, the "best" technology was not always the winning technology. edison dropped a wad trying to convince everyone that DC electricity was superior technology to AC electricity, and for awhile, he had a few folks convinced. until he didn't. at that point, he had to steal AC technology from tesla and westinghouse to keep up.

market share isn't necessarily an indicator of "better." does GM build better cars than toyota? can we deduce that from the fact that GM has more market share?

the history of technology and enterprise is littered with the corpses of "more market share." it's an indicator of a moment in time which has been in a constant state of flux for a hundred and fifty years, nothing more.

and this industry is about in the maximum state of fluctuation and change. it's a great time to be a stock trader, a lousy time to be a shareholder based on "more market share."

let's see, right now, would you rather be trading toyota, apple and canon, or holding GM, microsoft, and kodak?
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #34
Jubal 28

The point, Meryem, is if Macs were truly wrought whole cloth from the sands of the Earth by the hand of God himself, with software taken from the songs of angelic choirs, as the Mac ads and Mac cultists claim, and if PCs were truly shoddy little boxes held together by tape and chewing gum and run by mangy hamsters in lopsided wheels, again as the Mac ads and Mac cultists claim, then Apple would have a bigger share . . . don't you think?

As John says, they're both tools, and they both do the same things.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #35
Trustee

I am a PC user. I have a few. I was a Mac user back in the mid 1980's. Changing jobs changed my computer. It happens. I like Macs, but I don't use one because I don't really need anything they offer that I can not get on my current PC.

Keep in mind that Apple didn't have the marketing expertise that IBM did. They had their chance, and they messed up. The Mac was vastly superior for a long time. Now it is only a little better. They should have attacked when they had an overwhelming advantage and wasted it because of Steve Jobs overconfidence, or arrogance.

I have often said that if you want to understand a computer, and work with it, and make minute changes, buy a PC. If you just want to use the darn thing, buy a Mac. But the pricing issues made it too easy to buy a PC. People got what they paid for. That was Jobs biggest mistake.

But, as I have said, they should be more careful with their statements. Viruses are written for PCs primarily because there are more PCs, not because you can't write one for a Mac. Just who would bother? Then there is the editing software, etc. Think about it. Microsoft is getting sued over all the cool things they are adding for free. It annoys the little software vendors. Don't ignore that and say the PC doesn't come with toys. Lambast them for their lawsuits. Don't attack with lies. What's the point when the truth is better?
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #36

Quote:
I ask again:With less than 4% of the worlds market share, who is buying this nonsesne ?
Well, I guess 4% of us are, which is a pretty large number actually. Large enough to keep Apple running I guess.

...and 4% of the market share compared to what? If you have a Mac/Apple and use the "Mac Platform," that's what you buy, and "Apple" is the ONLY brand you buy (for the main hardware).

The "PC," on the other hand is not a brand and there are several dozen if not several hundred manufacturers competing for their slice of the pie, i.e. Sony, HP, Dell, Toshiba, IBM, etc., etc. So even though the PC platform has 96% of the market, it's not controlled by one manufacturer.

But really, I agree that market share is not really a point anyway. Automobile manufacturers like BMW don't have much of a market share, yet produce an outstanding product and thrive as a very profitable company. Same goes for other manufactured goods like watches (Rolex), clothes (insert any brand of jeans selling for over $150 per pair here), etc.

I just thought it was good commercial concept. So simple in appearance, content and text. It's very encouraging to me to think that this commercial could have been directed, shot, edited and produced by the majority of people that are in this forum... and who knows - maybe it was?

PS - Steven, thank you for having such a cool and useful Web site. I've recently started learning AE 7.0 and your site has been invaluable with all the helpful links for plug-ins, tutorials, etc!

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #37
Jubal 28

It's interesting Derek, that it's OK to lump "PCs" into a single group when Apple is poking fun at them, or when touting the Mac superiority, oh, but when things like "market share" come along, hey, there's really no "PC," is there . . . ?
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
It's interesting Derek, that it's OK to lump "PCs" into a single group when Apple is poking fun at them, or when touting the Mac superiority, oh, but when things like "market share" come along, hey, there's really no "PC," is there . . . ?
If I've ever made a statement in this forum seemed to "tout" superiority of any kind for a specific product, I apologize, but I don't think that I have. Actually this forum has been a great place to see the good and the bad about various products with opinions from people that actually use them.

And I don't think that I said there's "no PC," but that PC is not a specific brand that is manufactured or controlled by just one company, unlike Apple, which is manufactured and controlled by just one company.

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
The point, Meryem, is if Macs were truly wrought whole cloth from the sands of the Earth by the hand of God himself, with software taken from the songs of angelic choirs

let's see, i think i pointed out in an earlier post my own eyeball-rolling at the ludicrous "i'm a mac" claim that apples don't need re-starting. (speaking for my own mega-crashed G4, as of yesterday afternoon, it won't start at all and is off to the shop....) so can we put this sort of inaccurate and hyperbolic characterization to rest? lay it down alongside "stupid" and "pretentious arses." people in glass houses, eh what?

these are advertisements. not reasoned arguments. the point is to get your attention and to entertain, and as we all know even negative attention is still attention. so something is working. my five year old can tell you all about it....
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #40
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
let's see, i think i pointed out in an earlier post my own eyeball-rolling at the ludicrous "i'm a mac" claim that apples don't need re-starting. (speaking for my own mega-crashed G4, as of yesterday afternoon, it won't start at all and is off to the shop....) so can we put this sort of inaccurate and hyperbolic characterization to rest? lay it down alongside "stupid" and "pretentious arses." people in glass houses, eh what?

these are advertisements. not reasoned arguments. the point is to get your attention and to entertain, and as we all know even negative attention is still attention. so something is working. my five year old can tell you all about it....
But I think my characterization fits very well with years of Apple marketing, proselytizing, and Mac zealotry. All of it intentional . . . ask Guy Kawasaki.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #41
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
If I've ever made a statement in this forum seemed to "tout" superiority of any kind for a specific product, I apologize, but I don't think that I have. Actually this forum has been a great place to see the good and the bad about various products with opinions from people that actually use them.

And I don't think that I said there's "no PC," but that PC is not a specific brand that is manufactured or controlled by just one company, unlike Apple, which is manufactured and controlled by just one company.
I didn't say you did, Derek, and if you took it as an unfair application of a generality (because I think we can both agree that what I said is accurate for some), then I apologize myself.
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #42
Wrangler

At this point I think both sides have had enough chance to make their case, so let's turn our attention back to video and give the endless Mac vs. PC debate a rest...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media