Apple to open flagship store in NYC tomorrow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Wrangler

Apple to open flagship store in NYC tomorrow

If you're in New York you can satisfy your Mac craving 24 hours a day at this new 10,000 square foot store on Fifth Avenue...

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6073...tag=ne.gall.pg

http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/18/app...apbox_inl.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/may/18retail.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Major Player

NBC news had a feature on this Friday evening and an interview with Jobs.
He says his policy is that if you do one thing really well, then you can also do other new things very well and you have an obligation to periodically re-direct your talents.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess Jobs is going to satisfy his cube fixation.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I haven't been over there yet--but having the glowing Apple logo incased in a glass cube right on Fifth Avenue, right next to the CBS Morning Show/FAO Schwarz/Plaza Hotel/Central Park South can't be all bad...

Just imagine driving down Fifth Avenue from the upper east side--- The Guggenheim Museum, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and wham---the GM Building with the new Apple Store with the floating Apple logo--this is pretty smart branding for Apple.

At the very least, it will alleviate the crazy crowds at their Soho location.

Check out the Apple website--they are doing a time lapse video of all 24 hours---can't believe there are Mac fans visiting at 3AM!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Trustee

...was planning on shooting a short video of the whole "Apple NYC" experience- but the crazy crowds were just too much......people were waiting outside overnight because of the hype and the free Macbooks given out (per hour).....shirts were also given away and the atmosphere was just electric.....

.....too bad I missed it- but I'm sure I'll by there sometime soon when things settle down a bit.
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Wrangler

The crowds were insane at 6 PM. Went back around 11 PM and still had to wait about 30 minutes to get in!

When I got inside, it was packed wall to wall with people. Lots of minor celebrities shopping for Mac products.

My impressions:
a. it's an ok store inside, the one in SOHO is more interesting, and much more relaxing
b. it's too small for the traffic on 5th avenue, I think it's going to be packed day in, day out, weekends during the summer? fuhgettaboutit
c. the entrance is pretty impressive and sits well in the area it's in
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Okay, just came back from taking a quick looksee of the Apple Store...I didn't even bother to get in line...it was worse than FAO Schwarz during the holidays...

I did, however, shot a quick QTVR movie, handheld, [there is some flaws-but to give ya an idea....]

http://chung123.googlepages.com/applestore.mov
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Wrangler

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060524/apple_cube.html?.v=2

Quote:
Call it the symbolic revenge of the Cube. Apple Computer Inc.'s latest cube-shaped creation -- a stunning three-story glass structure marking the entrance to its new store on New York City's Fifth Avenue -- reflects how far the Macintosh maker has come since its first embodiment of a hexahedron.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media