"What Sets Us Apart" - Your opinion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

"What Sets Us Apart" - Your opinion

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion...0703/3edit.htm

I just read this editorial and found it thought provoking. It speaks about Hollywood as the center of storytelling. I just got to thinking, what with the internet and all of you out there, why couldn't this community have a positive influence? What do you all think? DV Challenge #6?
Leslie Dopkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok, skimmed the article, it seemed more like a American culture abroad article. But I will say that even today, american movies are #1 in the box office world wide (there are exceptions of course) due to things liek high production value, editiing, biug name stars, and the fact that english is known all over the world, where as something like mandrian chinese is not as common (unless your in china).
the internet is just to big. What i mean by that is that theres a liited number of movie thearters and distributers. The internet is really just anyone with a web cam. With out soem standered of controll, the signal to noise ratio is really low , i think i said that right.

Take foor example the movie star wrek, the biggest movie ever to come out of finnnalnd, it's totally free, totally avalible to any one it's really cool, but un;les you kn ow about it, it's nothing. Unlike a movie such as "superman returns" goood or bad , it's advertised everywhere.

So the main trouble i see here is advertising and the vast wasteland that is known as the internet. Not sure really what you could do abou it, or even if it should be done.
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

There's another downside to the image of American or western culture as projected abroad. That is everyone in the world wants a piece of western-style prosperity but it aint gonna happen for everyone and if it did the world would explode. Counting down to thread freeze in 10-9-8...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media