The Quiet American at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 20th, 2003, 11:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Quiet American

Just saw "Anatomy of a Scene: The Quiet American" on Sundance channel. It focuses (no pun intended) on the bomb scene and especially Michael Caine from the point of view of the film makers. It is very good. Quite worthwhile for aspiring and already there film makers. Having been in Vietnam a number of times I felt the rationale for using Vietnamese who had undergone the war as extras was very interesting. The rationale was intriguing. But for most of us, I think, the logic behind the scene was very enlightening.
Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 08:05 PM   #2
Major Player

I saw the Quiet American last night, great film. Unfortunately I don't get the Sundance Channel!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Taylor : I saw the Quiet American last night, great film. Unfortunately I don't get the Sundance Channel! -->>>

I just started getting Sundance so this was a first for me. The focus (bad word again) included how they used hand held cameras for some of the shots in the square and the use of music to accentuate (sometimes by the absence of sound) parts of the scene. They also talked of the relationship between older white men (Caine, for example) and beautiful young Vietnamese women. Obviously one of Greene's metaphors for colonialism. But it also works both ways, particularly in the novel.
Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media