Court Rules Against D.I.S.H; Comcast Makes Deal with Tivo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Court Rules Against D.I.S.H; Comcast Makes Deal with Tivo

The latest development in the patent-infringement legal action of Tivo Vs. D.I.S.H., is that a court has ordered D.I.S.H. to turn off most of their customers' DVRs, a decision that will surely be appealed. Also, it has been announced that Comcast has made a DVR licensing aggreement with Tivo, that will begin this Fall. I wonder and am apprehensive about what that will mean for Comcast customers. Will they be forced to use and pay for Tivo service? Or will Comcast just be paying Tivo some tribute money and maintain DVR service as it is? I want nothing to do with Tivo and my opinion of those who enjoy having them manage their TV recordings, is that they are the same bunch of folks who were never able to turn off the blinking 12:00 on their VCRs.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Actually it has already been blocked:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060818/tivo_echostar.html?.v=12

Quote:
DALLAS (AP) -- EchoStar Communications Corp. rushed to a federal appeals court Friday in a successful bid to avoid shutting down more than 3 million digital video recorders used by customers of its Dish satellite-TV service.
They were discussing this on Bloomberg Friday, and the analyst felt it was highly unlikely anyones' DVR would be shut down.

I own some stock in Comcast, and that TiVo deal is not new, it was announced a long time ago (like a year? maybe) but there was a long lead time involved. Basically (IIRC) it allowed Comcast to use TiVo software in their cable boxes.

Quote:
A deal with Comcast Corp., which has more than 23 million cable-TV subscribers, is set to begin in the fourth quarter. TiVo is still chasing deals with the other leading cable providers.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

That's weird...my wife and I just switched to DirecTV.

heath
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Geez... I must be living under a rock. I didn't know anything about this. As a long time DISH Network customer with one of those DVR's, I would not have been at all happy to find mine disabled.

I'll have to pay more attention.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Me too Greg. I forgot what it's like to watch tv when the shows are actually on. Man what an adjustment it will be to go back to the old ways. I'll have to build my own setup if they do this to us. I won't pay Tivo for their crappy service. There's a reason why they've never turned a profit despite having a great technology idea. I won't go back to Directv either. Their customer service is not good where I live.
Jeff Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Phelps
Me too Greg. I forgot what it's like to watch tv when the shows are actually on. Man what an adjustment it will be to go back to the old ways. I'll have to build my own setup if they do this to us. I won't pay Tivo for their crappy service. There's a reason why they've never turned a profit despite having a great technology idea. I won't go back to Directv either. Their customer service is not good where I live.
I ve had DirecTV for 7 years or so, and the TIVO for about 4 now. Actually have two TIVO's. No problems, but it is all self installed, so I'd have no one to blame but myself.... My wife could not live with out it, and I, well it would would be a trial...

By the way, I am actually expecting to see some riots brake out in the streets....
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I won't go into the problems I've had with Directv here but they are legion. It wasn't anything to do with the equipment. That was pretty straightforward. It's the way they change the rules on payments and expect you to think they're "giving" you things that you've been paying for. Specifically sports channels was something the claimed to be "giving" me despite the fact I paid them money for the service.

I think most of the problem was with the company they farmed out their service to because they didn't have enough capital at first. I had one of their systems from the trial period and they thought they could get away with murder pretty much the entire time I dealt with them.

I've been with Dish for years now. I'll never go back for any reason.
Jeff Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #8
Wrangler

Well I moved to a place out in the woods recently where I can't get cable. So getting a satellite TV system was on my list, but I let it slide for awhile since I was busy with all the other stuff related to moving. Funny thing, after a couple weeks without any TV I realized that I wasn't missing anything and I had a lot more time for other things.

So I've decided to wait until I really miss it enough to get Dish or DirecTV. Hasn't happened yet and over 3 months have passed. Now I do watch DVD's regularly, but it's always something that I really want to see and not just whatever happens to be on. It has been an interesting experiment for me; I'm sure I'll cave in and get something when Fall or Winter comes around and I don't spend as much time outside. But in the meantime I feel a little like a junkie who has realized that he doesn't really need a constant "fix" to be happy :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well I moved to a place out in the woods recently where I can't get cable. So getting a satellite TV system was on my list, but I let it slide for awhile since I was busy with all the other stuff related to moving. Funny thing, after a couple weeks without any TV I realized that I wasn't missing anything and I had a lot more time for other things.
I have to admit that my DISH receiver gets very little view time. Living in a major metropolitan area allows me to pull in all the local channels OTA in HD. Since I don't have DISH in HD, it's kind of a letdown to watch the satellite stuff. I keep it mainly for major news events but the only reason I got it in the first place was that my local cable company didn't offer The Golf Channel which I wanted access to.

All in all, I could probably live without it as you are doing.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media