Movies and Motorcycles - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #16
Capt. Quirk

Already on it. Putting up the sheet metal over the windows tomorrow, getting supplied up tonight. Been going through this for 40 years now, and I don't panic till it hits a 3 or higher.
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

True, when I lived there, Cat 1 was just another rainy day. Potential damage, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Ok..I'm leaning toward the Road King. I went down to Manassas VA and checked out both the Harleys and the Hondas at different dealers.
The GoldWing is awesome, top of the line gets you great stereo/cd player, heated handlebars and seats, gps and abs brakes and great handling for a large bike. And boring as hel#. I was standing there, with all my history of riding Jap Iron and liking it, and the bike was just.... boring. Too George Jetson for me I guess. I even took a look at the st1300 and it just didn't do it for me.
More bike for the money when compared to the Harley, but the Hog spoke to me on a very deep emotional level. Doesn't make sense, but so far thats the way I'm seeing it. Maybe turning 50 is the new turning 40. I don't know.

I can think of all sorts of logical reasons to choose the Wing. None of them interest me. Weird. Maybe it's Harleys new perl black that comes standard, and the new 96 inch cubic thunder with 6 speed trans. Maybe it's seeing a bunch of Harley riders just having fun. hmmmmm.

btw, the Honda Rune has to be special ordered , none of the dealers carry them. I've seen one at a show and it's beautiful.

Lastly, the Honda dealer is also a Kawasaki dealer. When I told them I currently owned a 92 Concours, they kept trying to push me ove r to buying a new one. Even when I told them my current one is in great shape and I didn't want a new concours. Really started to piss me off that they kept bringing it up. They must be stuck with some stock they can't get rid of. Have to figure that in when making the final decision.

On the other hand, the Harley salesman was totally cool, knowledgeable, informative and told me in addition to his Ultra Classic, he also liked his Suzuki Vstrom. He let the Road King sell itself and didn't go to the old self rightous Harley routine I've seen in the past. Very patient, gave me an out the door price and offered to answer any questions I had. No high pressure at all. I like that. Have to consider the dealer when making a purchase.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #18
Capt. Quirk

The kawi dealer down here has a few Runes in stock. The first time I saw one, I thought- This is something out of Batman! I just can't see spending twice as much as I spent on my new car.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Joe you will never be sorry for getting that Road King. There is something about a Harley that you just won't get on a Honda, etc. I know a few guys who had Harley's then tried a Gold Wing. They liked it but in a year or so they were back on Harley's.

and your right those new 96's with the six speed trans,,,,what a ride,,,the local dealer around here is having a open house in two weeks. They will have the demo fleet in to test drive. I'm hoping they have a new Road King to demo.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I sat on a fully tricked out Goldwing in the dealership. And it dawned on me. For nearly the same ammount of money, I could buy a Miata... and get the same 'open road' effect with a passenger seat beside me. I mean, I just felt like I would be buying a convertable, that was short two wheels. Too much stuff for a motorcycle, not enough for a convertable. Know what I mean?

I think the visceral appeal of the Harley is... it doesn't betray it's roots. And if you want a MOTORCYCLE... you want a motorcycle.

My two cents.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #21
Capt. Quirk

Richard- That sums up how I feel about overloaded dressers. You can't grab it anywhere, because there is fiberglass everywhere. Really bulky, and it really deadens the ride. Just give me a cruiser with a simple fairing, and maybe some leather saddlebags.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #22
Inner Circle

try riding in 0 degree weather and you'll suddenly appreciate all that plastic, and heated handle bars and seats (no one uses fiberglass any more, just injection molded plastic, it's less expensive and lasts longer).

as far a a Miatia, you can't lean into a curve in one, but you have a point, one that I've though about. But my God man..a Miata? Would you actualy want to be seen in one? hehehe.
The Wing is really for the cross country rider (that and BMWs). ou can also add an after market trailer.
I'm wondering if I could physically handle cross country on a Harley, and would it make it from VA to Las Vegas or beyond. But I have to admit, going out west on a Road King sounds romantic. I've also looked at the Ultra Glide (I think...) with the BatWings. But they are 1400 more. Same ride and power though. Besides I have a pair of custom made chaps from a place in Richmond Illinois that are the smoothest, most comfortable leather I've ever had in my life.

I think I'll rent one before I decide. I've ridden a Wing plenty of times (my brothers'), so I already have reference on that.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Just give me a cruiser with a simple fairing, and maybe some leather saddlebags.
You've just described the Road King classic.

btw, If I decide on the Wing, I won't get it from the dealer I saw yesterday.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hey folks, forget the bikes, I want one of these

http://corporate.honda.com/press/art...=2006080838554

Just kidding, but what a fantasy.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #25
New Boot

I ride a 99 Honda ACE 1100. I'm also looking to get a touring bike. I love the classic look and sound of the Harleys, but I'm leaning towards the Wing. I have a buddy with a GL1800. I've ridden it and it's --smooooth---. What I like the most abot the wing is the technology. ABS, sound system with an input for my MP3 player, Nav system, heated seats and grips, cruise control, etc. THe best part is enough cargo room for my XL2 and some sound gear.

My vote: Get the Wing.
Craig Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I've also been looking at the ST1300. A full dress Harley is about the same as the fully loaded Wing. 20+ thousand dollars also has me thinking about going down to FL and bringing my Concours out of mothballs. At least it's paid for.
Man oh man, talk about sticker shock!!
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Air China Pilot

I poked into this thread expecting talk of Easy Rider ... :)

Any one here a fan of "Electraglide in Blue"?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
I poked into this thread expecting talk of Easy Rider ... :)

Any one here a fan of "Electraglide in Blue"?
Yes, haven 't seen it for awhile though.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #29
Air China Pilot

It was released on DVD this year(or was it last?). It's a good transfer. Lovely cinematography and I like the off beat story. A real treasure not many people have seen. I hope the Robert Blake infamy doesn't spoil what people think about it.
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #30
Major Player

My Old Video Cycle

Since there seems to be so much interest in motorcycles here, I'll swing things slightly back towards video: This Honda 650 with its Czech sidecar was my video go-getter for 3 1/2 years. I could buzz around quickly and get to some places that weren't so easy to reach with a car. What a job that was installing the sidecar correctly. It took several months before I had it right and if a sidecar isn't adjusted just exactly right, you've got trouble. It was a lot of fun and it was nice not having to put a foot down at intersections. But, it was cutting into my bicycle riding too much, so 4 years ago I parked it in my shed and there it's been staying. The 2nd picture shows my video vehicle from before and after my motorcycle epoch. It will go even more places and the gas crunch is not on my worry list. That's my latest computer and monitor loaded on top, coming home from the dealer. Guess why I was given the web handle I use of "Bigrocketman". Some smart-aleck kids were once razzing me about it. They asked me if I had my wife inside. I shut them up by saying, "What's left of her!".
Attached Thumbnails
Movies and Motorcycles-5894.jpg   Movies and Motorcycles-p1010158.jpg  

J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media