DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/78-various-totem-posts-2001-2003-a.html)

Gints Klimanis July 11th, 2003 01:48 PM

I'm a plasma newbiw, but I'll recap after shopping for one.

There is an issue with image burn-in, which seems to happen
very quickly. I passed on plasma displays after learning about this. As a consumer, this simply isn't acceptible. All of my original DVDs have static menus, so I would probably trash the set quickly. The 25000 hr picture degeneration figure needs more explanation. It's probably the "half life" of the tube, which is
GoodGuys-speak for the # hours required for the full-output tube to degenerate to half. The plasma displays in the show room are
dialed up to full output. I was told that the "half-life" figure referred to an output level much lower than that of the showroom.

Matt Elias July 17th, 2003 06:03 PM

Pop and Me

I recently watched Chris Roe's docu, Pop and Me, and would highly recommend everyone to see it. It portrays Chris and his dad's journey around the world, meeting pops and sons. The film was shot in DV (a sony vx1000 I believe) and 16mm. The combination of film doesn't distract from the content, as I thought it would. The interchanging styles serve more as a relief between shots. Anyway, I enjoyed it (watched it 3 times) and I hope you do as well - enjoy it that is, you don't need to watch it 3 times ; )

Dan Holly July 18th, 2003 09:58 AM

OT: Made the local news paper today

http://www.adn.com/business/story/34...-3510499c.html

A small part of what I manage in my real life outside of DV.

Boyd Ostroff July 18th, 2003 12:35 PM

The ultimate LCD screen

There's an article in the current issue of Videography magazine about the 110' wide by 34' high LCD backdrop at Ceasar's Palace in Las Vegas, currently in use for a Celine Dion show. Unbelievable. 5 megapixels total, 1280 high by 4160 wide, at an 8mm dot pitch; the first row of seats is 80' from the screen. Total weight is 24 tons and it has a 6KVA power supply!

The little photos in the article make the image look great - has anyone seen this in person?

Alex Taylor July 19th, 2003 12:29 PM

And all that technology goes to waste on Celine Dion.... :P

Carolyn Burgess July 19th, 2003 12:50 PM

Ouch!

Keith Loh July 23rd, 2003 05:02 PM

New York Video Festival

With so much talk about film this film look that, it's good to see that some people are doing interesting work that is meant to remain as video. Hope some of you New York people will get out to see some of these and report back:

The New York Video Festival
July 23 – 27, 2003
At the Walter Reade Theatre
sponsored by the FilmSociety of Lincoln Centre ("Film Comment" magazine)

http://www.filmlinc.com/nyvf/nyvf.htm

Robert Poulton July 23rd, 2003 07:35 PM

Looks amazing. To bad I have no way to get there and see these films. Please go and see I want to know what some of these are about.

Rob:D

Rob Lohman July 25th, 2003 02:54 AM

Link to this on IMDB

Rob Lohman July 25th, 2003 03:06 AM

That sure is something completely different, but interesting. I
for one don't know a lof about "recycling"....

Dan Holly July 27th, 2003 12:21 PM

Star Wars video prompts lawsuit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3095385.stm

Imran Zaidi July 27th, 2003 03:04 PM

That's interesting... not long ago I was on a website that was apparently collecting money to buy the Star Wars kid an iBook. They were claiming that they did indeed collect enough to give him one. I wonder if that was a scam?

Alex Knappenberger July 28th, 2003 09:34 PM

Public access TV show, for fun. Good idea?

Hey, it's been sucking around here for me, nothing to do, and i'm thinking about doing a local public access tv show for fun, and I don't know if it's worth all the work/effort to put a half hour show together every week to play on our little local public access tv station, even if it sucks. It would have to be better then anything on there now though, since the only thing on there is mostly church videos (VERY VERY bad ones, words can't describe how bad) and i've seen some other bad "sketch comedy" show on there.

The main thing that has me bummed about it, is actually how BAD our local tv access is. The ONLY format they support is VHS, so you have to take your nicely put together quality minidv tape down to VHS to send to them to play, thats ridiculous. A internet buddy of mine, his local access TV station is awesome, they have $7000 DVCAM cameras for you to use, a full featured edit suite, support many formats...etc..etc. I'm not asking for all that, but atleast they could support MiniDV, atleast, thats just sad.

Good idea, or not?

Josh Frye July 29th, 2003 01:39 AM

I would definately do it. It will be a great learning experience, where you will be under preassure (obviously your own) to provide quality material. Even if they don't have the best gear, you can still get an impression of what running a regular broadcast show is like. Im guessing you will be working solo, so you will also learn about being a producer, editor, writer, and not to mention camera man. If you have the chance to do it, and you have the time, Go for it. Just have fun.

Mark Moore July 29th, 2003 03:20 PM

If you have the opportunity then go for it! You could do just about anything you want - your own scripts, etc. You could even do tutorials on mini-dv and how to shoot things, what not to do, how to edit, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Dayton with consumer cams that don't know how to properly use them and might appreciate the input.

Also, I agree that you'll learn a great deal - even if the equipment isn't top-notch!

Let us know if you do it and how it goes.

Chris Long July 30th, 2003 10:13 AM

Baltimore/Washington Area Photo Store?

Hi All
I was wondering if anyone who lives in my area might have the name of a good photo shop--one that would have a nice selection of stuff in stock that you can inspect. Nothing really like that in my town anymore (Frederick, Maryland USA). I'm not really talking about the national chain stores or mall stores...

Mail order is OK, but it's nice sometimes to actually see the items in person...

Hope this is the best place to post this.

Thanks!
Chris

Shawn Mielke August 6th, 2003 02:00 AM

DV shot films and beyond

May I get this off my chest, once and for now? Can I, huh? Oh, thank you thank you. Ahem. Uh, a small list of favorite dv shot films:

1. Julien Donkey Boy, by Harmony Korine, 1999.
Best film of the 90's. Cinema's last stand. Cover your bleedin' HDTV with gas and set it on fire. Breakthrough in Grey Room.

2. Waking Life, by Richard Linklater, 01?02?
Refreshingingly overtly, colorfully :) intellectual, AND an American film. Go figger.

3. The Cruise, by......blank....blank...?, 1999.
Inspiring in many ways. Genius on either end of that vx1000. These guys make the modern age wholly worthwhile after all. The fool and the madman!

4. Hmm, those might have been them. The xl1s work in Pinero was just fine. Very good movie. Bamboozled cannot be ignored, with the exception of a few warped w/a shots. Not a great dv film, but adequate enough to speak it's mind, loudly, and enunciating every syllable. Didn't need anniversary party, personal velocity, full frontal, blair witch (we don't owe this ffflick a thing, folks).......Dancer in the Dark was an almost, thanks to bjork's lack of trust in a vision other than her own. Any others, anyone? I'm not looking for a list of everything dv when I ask. What blows your mind? Why do you care about film? DV? Have you grown as a person because of them? Or is it the mere techno race thrill that drives you wild, along with the next camera to come out, the next next next......

some films that have radically altered my concept of cinema, art, the universe and my self percieved place in all of it, not necessarily in that order:

Stalker 1979 Andrei Tarkovsky Russia
The Mirror 1974 Andrei Tarkovsky Russia
Sans Soleil 1982 Chris Marker France
Persona 1967 Ingmar Bergman Sweden
Blood Wedding 1981 Carlos Saura Spain
The Color of Pomegranates 1969? Sergei Paradjanov Russia
The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting 1979 Raul Ruiz France
Tetsuo: The Iron Man 1992 Shinya Tsukamoto Japan
La Belle Noiseuse early nineties Jacque Rivette France
Koyaanisqatsi 1983 Godfrey Reggio USA
Heart of Glass 1975 Werner Herzog Germany
Badlands 1975 Terrence Mallick USA

Heath McKnight August 7th, 2003 11:49 PM

My website's new look

Here's a link to the new look. I think it's killer and easy to navigate. Plus the logo is cool and unique, as is the color scheme!

www.mpsdigital.com

What do you all think? If you like, the guy who designed it hails from England and makes high quality websites and can work within your budget. (He deserves the plug, because he worked well within my budget.)

His email is angelo@mpsdigital.com

Thanks all,

heath

Haasim Mahanaim August 10th, 2003 04:48 PM

my new web site and production company

MoonRocket is the name of my production company. A school project motivated me to work on the web site. And it's sort of complete. The site is meant to advertise my video production services, showcase my work and offer yet another online community for those who are interesting in all the happenings of 'the biz'.

I've been working on some short films but I would like to become more agreessive in the next few months. I'm excited about some of the ideas I hope to explore in the future, but for now most of the stuff I've done is nothing more than an excercise.

Moon-Rocket.com will be closely related to my blog, vectormatrix.net - With my blog I hope to explore my thoughts and lessons learned from my attempts at short filmmaking.

I also got my first paid video project as a videographer for a wedding. And I'll be sharing this experience and the final product in the next few weeks.

If anyone from Toronto or the GTA is seriously interested in working on some short film stuff, get in contact with me. I've tried using those posting boards for crew and casting jobs, but I end up getting 40 emails from people who end up bailing out just as I'm ready to begin filmming.

Keith Loh August 10th, 2003 07:49 PM

I like the horizontal composition of your website, and the Moonrocket identity is good. I think you should standardize on the fonts that appear on that page, though.

Rob Lohman August 11th, 2003 08:12 AM

Hmmm, I haven't had the luck of actually seeing anything that
was shot with a DV camera. I hope to catch 28 days later on
DVD when it comes out here.

Alfred Tomaszewski August 11th, 2003 08:15 AM

question about slates.

from what i have seen it seems that the Denecke SMPTE time code slate is an industry standard for shooting music videos. my question is...why do they need time code slates when most new 16mm ann 35mm cameras have time code counters built right in? I also see that most other types of slates have room for more information (roll number, scene, take, etc.) would one of these slates be more useful?

Rob Lohman August 11th, 2003 08:20 AM

See and post to this thread, please.

Thanks

Sam Houchins II August 13th, 2003 09:49 PM

I've got the same problem from down here in Fredericksburg, VA. Before deciding on and purchasing the Sony VX2000, I was desperate to try it hands on, and after searching the internet, and making multiple phone calls, I could only come up with a single shop (a RITZ camera store in DC) that claimed to have the vx2k on display, but upon further conversation, they mentioned that they would have to try to find the battery or power cord if I wanted to turn it on! I didn't bother making the hour trip up there. I've had to rely HEAVILY on reviews and comments from excellent sites like dvinfo, for everything including lighting, audio, tripods, etc., making all my purchases online. Only one deal went totally sour, through ebay, and the credit card company says they'll handle that for me. That was my shot at a pd150.

John Locke August 20th, 2003 11:27 AM

Space between lines of text in PS 7.0 for Mac

Can anyone tell me how to change the spacing between lines of text in Photoshop 7.0 for Mac?

In the older versions, it was an option in the popup box when you created the text layer. Now...I can't find where to change it.

John Locke August 20th, 2003 07:39 PM

Never mind...digging around on the internet I found my answer. Amazing how I've gotten by this long without knowing this!

For those of you that don't... highlight the text, then click the newly appeared button up on the toolbar for preferences (next to the curve on a path button) and a popup window will appear. There, you'll see all the controls for text.

James Emory August 21st, 2003 07:03 PM

HTML Code for e-mail content - help quick?

Howdy. I know the code to make text automatically appear in the subject line when you click on the e-mail address. How do I make text appear in the body of the e-mail so all the sender has to do is click on the e-mail address and press send? Thanks.

Keith Loh August 21st, 2003 07:15 PM

mailto:someone@somewhere.com?subject=thank you very much

Edward Troxel August 21st, 2003 08:09 PM

See this page for full details:

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

Bottom line use:

?&body=Your message here

Adrian Douglas August 22nd, 2003 09:37 AM

How many?

This was e-mailed to me, I also found the same thing on photo.net. Pretty funny, you should all get a laugh out of it.

How many discussion group posters does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Vladimir Koifman August 22nd, 2003 01:17 PM

Here is my take on the same matter:

How many vx2000/pdx150 group posters does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. PDX150 does not need light bulbs. It shoots excellent movies in the dark.

How many trv950/pdx10 group posters does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. They become completely non-operational in the dark.

How many GL1/2 group posters does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. They have so many stacked pixels on their LCDs that they can lit a night with them.

Hope this does not sound offensive.

Keith Loh August 22nd, 2003 09:33 PM

Hey Wentworths! You okay? (Kelowna fire)

I've been watching the photos come in from the forest fire threatening Kelowna. Let us know you guys are okay.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...threadid=21866

Yi Fong Yu August 23rd, 2003 01:01 PM

is Pieces of April (katie holmes+other famous actors) shot on DV?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/pieces_of_april/

Check it out for yourselves. i was very pleasantly surprised. i goto quicktime's movie trailers quite often and usually they're all in pristine filmic quality. when i recognized the 'dv nature' of the movie i was like, "WHOA MAN!" things are changing =). i know i know it's the not first certainly but it's just more and more of it are appearing =).

Dean Sensui August 23rd, 2003 01:42 PM

Video piracy ring busted in Honolulu

We may be the smallest state, but we're the best at something! You think this would come out of someplace closer to a foreign border instead of the middle of the ocean.

"FBI officials said it is the largest illegal operation in the country busted by law enforcement involving video compact disc and digital versatile disc production."

http://starbulletin.com/2003/08/22/news/index2.html

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Rob Belics August 23rd, 2003 06:16 PM

You can't tell by looking at a quicktime 6" wide screen. You have to blow it up 80x to judge that.

Yes it was done in digital on a $160k budget. It's only 81 minutes so that's a tad short for a feature.

Michael Wisniewski August 23rd, 2003 07:46 PM

Thanks, that is interesting, here's a direct link

Dan Holly August 27th, 2003 08:57 AM

Tivo

Anyone else have one?

I received a series 3, 30 hour unit for my b-day......and now that i have it, I don't know how I ever lived without it......

Comments or suggestions on how to get the most out of it (other than the obvious) ??????

Jenn Kramer August 27th, 2003 12:08 PM

I'm on my second TiVo, first one was a standard 30 hour Series 1, and then I upgraded to a Sony DirecTiVo when they came out. I can't imagine watching TV without one. I've got both tuners plugged in, so I can record two shows at once, while watching something else that's already on the TiVo. I haven't upgraded the drive space in mine yet, but I did put an ethernet card in, since the only reason I was keeping my phone line was to let the TiVo call home. Now the TiVo phones home over my DSL connection, and I'm happy as a clam.

Dan Uneken August 29th, 2003 01:30 AM

Microphones in frame

Hi!!!

We have a local cinema, mainly used by the film club of Jerez (200.000 souls) where they show films in the Original Version (not dubbed into Spanish).
They have a 35 mm projector and I have noticed that on many occasions microphones are visible at the top and sometimes bottom of the frame of films they show ("The Piano Teacher" - Michael Haneke and "Bend it like Beckham" recently).
I think this is due to the fact that the original framing of the film doesn't co-incide with the projected framing, but is there anyone who knows how to solve this problem, because the projector operator has no idea and says he's doing nothing wrong...
Should this be solved at the screen end by blacking off the borders or in the projector?

Thanks! Not very DV this question....

Dan.

Rob Belics August 29th, 2003 08:07 AM

As you have found, most films are recorded with the full frame height and width. This could be matted off on the camera or when the film is printed but that's not usually done. Nowadays there is a hard matte on the projector at the theatre to block this out.