DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/78-various-totem-posts-2001-2003-a.html)

Bob Zimmerman October 16th, 2003 04:03 AM

Jeb Bush offered that guy 3 months free at the beach!! He should take that offer...

Don Bloom October 16th, 2003 06:04 AM

To put this to rest, as I was in my car yesterday and while making a 40 mile trip home, on the Chicago highway system during rush hour, after meeting with a client, I was listening to the radio and interviews, interviewers, even most of the Cubs players they talked too agreed that the fan going for the ball did not lose the game for them. Some people though are just plain STUPID! The poor guy (a lifeling Cubs fan BTW) had TV and radio stations camped outside of his house, had to disconnect his phone by 8AM because of the calls, has news helicopters flying over his house and had to have police protection. He couldn't go to work, couldn't leave his house.
I doubt that he will be able to for a couple of days for fear that some overzealous "fan" would come and try to do bodily harm.

FOLKS, wake up, I too am a long suffering fan, but get real, more importantly, GET A LIFE.
He did NOT lose the game, the Cubs did. plain and simple.

Oh well, relax Don. I just hate to see something like a baseball game take on more importance than other events of the day and to place blame on anyone other than who it really should goto is ridiculous.
OK back to video!
Don

James Emory October 16th, 2003 06:47 AM

Quantity

Thanks Mike. I only need 50 and you are correct about quantity discounts. One place that does exactly what I need starts with a minimum of 2500 units and others at 500 units. Where can I find the Neato brand?

Heath McKnight October 16th, 2003 04:45 PM

My film, SKYE FALLING, is FINALLY on DVD/VHS!

Well, thanks to a lot of people all over the place, my film is FINALLY on DVD/VHS! SKYE FALLING had quite an adventurous journey over the past six or so years, and now it's out!

You can find out details and everything here:

http://www.mpsdigital.com

THANKS AGAIN to everyone out there for your help and support!

heath

Zac Stein October 22nd, 2003 08:10 AM

any 3d studio max people out there?

Hey all,

I was just looking for information and resources on the process of mapping a 3d character onto a live person, alla Golem from the two towers.

We have a shoot and if possible would like to use a 3d character rather than a person in a costume. And then somehow map our 3d modelled character (done in 3dsmax) onto this person and just tweek the animation from there.

Is this possible, what is required, any resources to check out?

Thanks in advance.

Zac

Bryan Mitchell October 22nd, 2003 03:58 PM

I myself like Lightwave, but if you have seen many making of videos, you always see the actors with little balls all over their body, and the computer records their XYZ positions. I dont see how you could do it any other way as far as 3d mapping goes. The only other way to map it would be to do a frame by frame 2d rotoscope type comparison, and I would imagine that would take forever.

I would guess the best way to do it, would be to use a program that lets you view the movie in the background, and then animate the character on top of it. I don't know if 3ds will let you do this. Also, since the actor is in the original film, you would have to have your character larger than him from every angle you use. (ex, you couldn't make him a skeleton)

Stephen Schleicher October 23rd, 2003 09:17 AM

Call for assistance

Some of you may be aware of the many After Effects tutorials I have been writing over the years on sites like Creative Mac, Digital Producer, Digital Animators, etc.

For those of you who are educators and use my material in your motion graphics, animation, or video courses (even as a suggested reading/text), I am asking for some assistance.

If you have found my tutorials and exercises valuable and of some worth to your students, could you send me a brief e-mail (off list) telling me who you are, where you teach, the course(s) you teach, and the usual course size?

Also, do you feel a book covering this matter (ala the great Meyer's book) would be something you would use as a text, even if it wasn't published by a traditional text book company (like focal press, and Thompson/Wadsworth)?

It would help me tremendously in the tenure process I am currently going through at the university that I teach at. Basically it will help justify that these writings have educational value.

For those of you who are not educators, please don't feel left out. If you would like to drop a similar e-mail that would be excellent too and of great help.

Thanks for your time and thanks for assisting me in this matter.

Stephen Schleicher
schleicher@mindspring.com
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher

Michael Wisniewski October 26th, 2003 02:58 PM

There will be a pop quiz afterwards ...

Kill Bill Study Guide

Federico Dib November 4th, 2003 11:53 AM

a DVD question

4 years ago, when I lived in Venezuela, all the DVD I watched were from the US.

Now Iīm living in Spain, after 3 years I finally got me a DVD player... but now I keep finding very annoying features on the DVD, I never saw on US DVDīs. For example:

- cheap menus for big time studio movies.

- Annoying unskipabble (spell?) trailers that you have to watch before you get to the menu. And NO, thereīs no way to skip the track.. except watching them at 12X or whatever.

- Very long (unskippable) Distribution company presentation.

- Lack of extras on rented DVDīs. (or no extras at all).

- Cruel extra options on rented DVDīs. For Example the "Gangs of New York" extra... just plays an animation that tellīs you "BUY THE HOME EDITION TO SEE THE EXTRAS".

This is not on Low Budget Indie Distribution DVDīs. This is on big studio Movies also.

So the question is this normal trend in these days worldwide, or just a Spanish thing? Maybe Europe?

Michael Wisniewski November 4th, 2003 03:48 PM

I've encountered stuff like that here in NYC.

Another item to add, is ONLY having the full screen version available

Alex Taylor November 7th, 2003 07:33 PM

Premiere 4.0 is here!

I stumbled across this review of Premiere 4.0 just now, it's pretty interesting to see how far we've come!

Some gems:

Quote:

Installation of Premiere either with the supplied five high density floppy disks or CD-ROM is explained very clearly in the Getting Started manual.
Quote:

A dazzling array of 61 video effects Transitions is available. A few are seen in the Transition window. When the window is active, as shown in the Screen Shot, all the transition icons are continuously animated showing just what the transitions looks like!
Quote:

The Movie Analysis feature, which gives all the details of the construction of a movie, is somewhat pessimistic, in my opinion. It over emphasises frames dropped during capturing. One animation video captured from tape had no dropped frames according to QuickFlix's Movie Get Info. Yet, Premiere announced, "This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES," and had a long listing of frame groupings each with the number of frames and duration.
Quote:

One thing that impressed me with the professional level of Premiere is the inclusion of a simulated video waveform monitor and vector scope. These instruments are found only in television broadcast and post-production facilities. They are now available to anyone with Premiere.
And, of course, no nostalgic computer article would be complete without system requirements!

Quote:

System requirements:

Macintosh 68020 processor or higher with 4 MB of RAM
or Power Macintosh with 6 MB of RAM
80 MB hard drive
QuickTime v1.6 or higher
Apple System Software v7 or higher.

System recommendations:
Macintosh 68040 or Power Macintosh
16 MB of RAM for full screen video
500 MB hard drive for full screen video
Video digitizing board that produces QuickTime movies
Color monitor with 24-bit video display card
CD-ROM drive.

K. Forman November 8th, 2003 06:19 AM

sniff... sniff... I miss the good ol' days! I remember starting off with either 4 or 4.5, and don't recall ever seeing a vectorscope or waveform. I'm sure I would have noticed something like that...

Alex Taylor November 8th, 2003 12:50 PM

I think he might mean the display in the Levels filter or something.

My favourite part is when he accuses Premier of being pessimistic!

K. Forman November 9th, 2003 10:32 AM

Need help finding a location...

I had written a screenplay, and used a place I remembered from years ago as the primary location. Well, as all things change eventually, my ideal location has grown, leaving it less than ideal.
So now, I am left trying to find a gas station/ convenience store, located in the middle of nowhere. Production is only a few months away.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I could just get in the truckster and drive around Florida, but I think that would turn into a logistical nightmare. Any and all Floridians are welcome to shout out...

Phil Reams November 10th, 2003 04:14 PM

How about somthing like the gas station at the intersection of US 441 and State Road 60 in a town (2 buildings is a town?) called Yeehaw Junction? It's about 30 miles to the East of Vero Beach on the East Coast.

I'm going through there this weekend, I'll snap a pic and post it on my site for you.

I travel a lot--if I think of any others or come across somthing, I'll pass it along.

How's the plans going for your project in March?

-Phil

K. Forman November 10th, 2003 06:20 PM

Hey Phil! If it's the bait and tackle and gas and deli I think it is, I've considered it too. If you are familiar with Yeehaw Jct., you know of Holopaw as well? That gas station on 1-92 was the original place that I had thought of. But that place is growing, and with all the changes they is making, it ain't right no more :)

As for the rest, pre production is going- slowly, but at least in a forward motion. I am working my tail off, just to insure we start on March 5th. And we will, unless there is some cataclysmic force that prevents it. Speaking of which, check out "Lost in La Mancha". It is about Terry Gilliams attempt at doing a movie based on Don Quixote. Very sad...

And, as always, check out the web journal for news and events concerning "Holler- It's a SCREAM in the Backwoods"

Alan Tran November 11th, 2003 03:00 AM

name of this song?

Man this is driving me nuts

http://homepage.mac.com/alantran/.cv/alantran/Public/name%20this%20tune.mp3-binhex.hqx

You know the name of that song? Its on mtv a lot in their documentaries and shows

Lemme know if you know it

Keith Loh November 11th, 2003 12:02 PM

Nice humming but it's not long enough for me to recognize it. What instruments?

Alan Tran November 11th, 2003 12:03 PM

hehe

it has an electronic dance type feel to it

Matt Betea November 19th, 2003 07:52 PM

Break time

Not sure if people already know about this or not, but I came upon this earlier this year and it always has something on there that cracks me up. Here Strongbad Email, the dragon and techno episodes are my favorite. The homepage is here.

Joe Carney November 23rd, 2003 10:27 AM

Heads up on Sony DVD players

Circuit city is selling some low cost Sony DVD players that play both "-" and "+" versions of consumers DVDs (including RW). One is listing for 99.00, the other for 129.00 with better color output. Also play Mp3s. Both are progressive. Very slim design too.

Could be a nice addition for those who have to deal with both formats.

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 08:59 AM

Simple but funny!

Dylan Couper November 24th, 2003 09:44 AM

Heh, very enjoyable.
Any other favorite on there besides Dragon and Techno?

Michael McConnell November 26th, 2003 11:29 AM

digital film workshops in nyc?

Does anyone know of a good place to take workshops for digital film in NYC? I'm looking to take a lighting course to sharpen my skills up.

Dan Holly November 26th, 2003 12:51 PM

Indie Filmmakers: Lift the Ban!

Interesting story surrounding the banned submission of inde films to the Oscars.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,...w=wn_tophead_8

Chris Sorensen November 26th, 2003 03:24 PM

Check NYU's school of continuing and professional education.

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/departments/...t.jsp?deptId=4

Michael McConnell November 30th, 2003 08:02 PM

c

Thanks chris--Im checking it out

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 2nd, 2003 12:53 PM

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra!

Trailer

Site

Could be a funny send-up of those horrible 50s B movies that get played incessantly on AMC every October--on the other hand, it could be a pale imitation without any laughs, which was how I felt for 90% of Tim Burton's Ed Wood.

I'm surprised a studio got behind this.

Ken Tanaka December 2nd, 2003 04:08 PM

I love 50's/60's B-scifi movies: my favorite genre! This looks like a real campy tribute to them. Gotta see this when it's out.

Thanks for the tip, Robert.

{EDIT}
The trailer is hilarious (and very slickly done)! Even the music is from 1940's horror movies. Filmed in "Skeletorama"!

Michael Wisniewski December 2nd, 2003 09:16 PM

For writing your own stuff ...

For those of you who write your own stuff or wanna here's some interesting and sometimes useful links I've found - feel free to add your own.

1. Check out the script writing columns at Word Play

2. This is an interesting thread from Absolute Write, it's focused on writing novels but is applicable to movies.

3. This is a funny plot generator. Make sure to check out the different links on the page, some fun reading.

4. If you're feeling lazy - this is the automatic random plot generator. (Hint: Press F5 to get a new set of plot points)

5. And just to round it out: Movie Cliches.com

Dylan Couper December 2nd, 2003 09:16 PM

Filmed in S K E L E T O R A M A ! ! !

The trailer had me laughing out loud a few times, but I don't know if I could enjoy 90 minutes like that.

When we were putting together our Lady X script ideas, I considered making a 50's B movie style film, instead of the samurai one.

Guest December 3rd, 2003 12:48 AM

Loved MovieCliches.com it had some good ones......

Andre Andreev December 3rd, 2003 03:15 AM

Also check a few articles at kuro5hin.org

Screenplay parts I thru IV:

http://linkzip.com?spoon44

I found these useful.

Cheers
-- Andre

( long link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search )

Helen Bach December 4th, 2003 09:50 PM

Shooting People, New York?

Shooting People has a New York wing now. This isn't a rival to DVi, more of a complement. Anybody joined?

Best,
Helen

David Hurdon December 5th, 2003 06:07 AM

WOW, updated viewing hardware

Earlier this week I replaced a decade-old 27" JVC TV with a new model Toshiba 24" - what I could find to fit the antique cabinet that houses the entertainment centre. Last night I installed a component cable between the DVD deck and the TV. Then I put in a DVD-r of my own stuff and settled back to watch. I couldn't believe me eyes. The picture quality was stunning. I've worked with DV for nearly three years now and never seen the true resolution of my camcorders! I watched one project after another, marvelling at the colour, detail, sharpness of focus...I'm looking forward to getting some feedback from other eyes but I don't expect it to be different from my own reaction. If you haven't seen your stuff on up-to-date hardware you're in for a real treat.

David Hurdon

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 6th, 2003 09:53 PM

Was HD used in Love Actually?

I have a bet running with a friend.

One of us swears that some portions of Love Actually--most saliently, many of the scenes between the writer and the Portuguese-speaking maid--were shot HD video.

The other suggests the crushed contrast look was intentional, achieved with the aid of "a double white pro mist filter or something."

IMDb is no help in this instance. Anybody know for sure? His AC subscription expired and I don't know whether they covered this film or not...

Michael Wisniewski December 8th, 2003 06:45 PM

It's not definitive, but here's a mention *** go down to the 3rd paragraph!!!

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 8th, 2003 06:56 PM

Yeah, I had seen this. All it mentions is credit for a trailer. Thanks, though, Michael!

Mike Rehmus December 8th, 2003 09:55 PM

I feed a HD LCD televison that has a Farouda doubler with a progressive scan signal. It isn't as good as real HD but it is very close. Makes S-Video look poor by comparison.

Megapixel Stills are stunning on HD. Makes me wish HD were really here for video cameras (the one available low-cost unit isn't really suitable for industrial videography I think).

Doubt if I can convince my wife that the PD150 and DSR-300 would make a decent downpayment on a HD rig. :-)))))))))

Now if they would only make a good HD monitor without all the junk they hang on the sides and backside. Maybe a 2-piecer so I could get a 32 " display in the Armoir.

Mike Butler December 17th, 2003 08:08 PM

Just signed up, Helen. We'll see how it goes. (didn't know they were UK-based)